UK vs USA VOLTAGE

• 16 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1032 replies
I was just reading this topic: https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/volume-control-6790772

Part of the topic says "One in my living room and one in my bathroom" which concerns me as this info could be misleading and dangerous to users of Sonos in the UK.

Some users in the UK might not know that the USA use 120V which is safe to plug into a socket in a bathroom whilst in the UK we use 240V which is a big no-no unless you wish to electrocute yourself.

Please SONOS make your UK customers aware of the dangers of this.

Kindest regards
Dave

4 replies

Actually, 120V is not really safer. A hair dryer plugged into an unprotected socket and dropped into a tub in the US will kill you, just like the UK. It's the US code requirements the require GFI sockets within a certain distance from a water source that allow us to use high voltage electronics in a bathroom.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Thanks @jgatie but surely moisture is also a problem?
My point was there is nothing to differentiate between UK and US code and anyone reading that topic will think it's safe to use a play device in the bathroom.

As a member of the community I don't want to see anyone hurt and they could argue that they read it on this forum that others had play devices in their bathroom not knowing the dangers. So yes US might be able to use high voltage electronics in a bathroom but here in the UK it's clearly a BIG NO NO
Sure moisture is a problem, but electrocution is the reason for GFI outlets in the US. They have a very sensitive circuit breaker that trips whenever the slightest short is sensed. So the electrocution hazard is negated. Though that doesn't protect one if you have a residence built before the codes went into place.
Badge +1
FYI it’s actually OK to have a Sonos in a UK bathroom. It needs to be outside of zone one (wet zones) and classed as a fixed install, so on a bracket/stand and connected to a fused connection unit via a short cable (so it can’t be moved into zone one). All bathroom circuits must be protected by an RCD. Obviously consult an electrician if in doubt...