Two homes, one app/account?

• 22 February 2018
  • 15 replies

I have Sonos devices (one Play:5 + two Play:1), in different locations (not moving them around or anything). Is there a way I can use the same phone, with the same app and account, for both places?

I did not even think of this being a challenge when buying the two Play:1 for the second location, but now I cannot use all the units, no matter what. When I switch location, the app just tells me I am on the wrong wifi network, and assume I need to reconfigure. I can't even log out and switch to another account (which would otherwise be a workaround).

Please tell me there is a way to solve this, other than reconfiguring my system every time I move (which is way too often to be feasible)....

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The only way I know of in that situation would be to go into advanced settings and reset the controller when at the new location so the app on your phone knows which location you are at.
Hm. Doesn't that involve connecting the sonos to ethernet?

Also, is it even possible to go into sertings at that point? My app just tells me i am on the wrong network and need to reconfigure. Which is maybe what you mean? But it involves setting up music services again etc. Not feasible to do daily.

Furthermore, we are two persons not always in the same place. I guess we cannot use the Sonos:es in both places at the same time then? One of the locations will probably not work.

This makes me think i should get a Bose system for one of the places instead. Not because i like it but because i see no solution with Sonos. At least then i can have an app per home then and solve it that way.

Or i need to buy us additional phones that we need to carry around, which is close to ridiculous.

This seems to be as far from simple as it gets. Is this as odd a use case, really?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have Sonos devices (one Play:5 + two Play:1), in different locations (not moving them around or anything). Is there a way I can use the same phone, with the same app and account, for both places?

I did not even think of this being a challenge when buying the two Play:1 for the second location, but now I cannot use all the units, no matter what. When I switch location, the app just tells me I am on the wrong wifi network, and assume I need to reconfigure. I can't even log out and switch to another account (which would otherwise be a workaround).

Please tell me there is a way to solve this, other than reconfiguring my system every time I move (which is way too often to be feasible)....

I do this, and it works perfectly.

My Sonos system is split between two properties. All Sonos devices are under the same Sonos account, but the systems in each property are separate in the sense that they do not share settings, playlists, services, etc., as these are stored in the speakers themselves. I use multiple iOS and PC controllers across both locations, and each one just connects seamlessly to the Sonos system in the location in which it's currently situated.

So, I don't know what's up in your case, but the scenario is definitely supported.
I woudl be very happy to get some detaisl on how you set this up in the first place. As I have hours between the two places, any trial and error is cumbersome.

I started with one system in one place A, for a long time.

Then I bought two more, for the other place B. When opening the app in place B all I get is a "you are not on the wifi where your sonos is. Did you change your router?", and I need to change that. I followed the instructions for "when you changed router or SSID" (it is sort of the oly workflow I can see possible given what the app tells me when I hit the only button I see), and it works fine. But I had to set up music services again, and I now have the two Sonos devices in place B in my app, and not the one in place A.

What exactly will happen when i gp to A i do not know. But I suspect it wil lbe the same as what happened when i first tried in B?

If you know what I should do before leaving B for A, and what I should do when arriving at A to create the setup you have, I am very eager to hear it. Feel free to PM me, it woudl be much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you know what I should do before leaving B for A, and what I should do when arriving at A to create the setup you have, I am very eager to hear it. Feel free to PM me, it woudl be much appreciated.
Assuming that your Sonos systems in both locations are functioning properly, I would do the following:

- Delete the Sonos app from your controller device(s) in order to reset it completely
- Reinstall the app
- When you start the app at one of your locations, you should be presented with an option to 'Connect to an Existing System'
- Choose this option and the app should discover your Sonos system and connect
- When you start the app at the other location, you should again be presented with the 'Connect to an Existing System' option
- Choose this option
- In my experience, the controller app will subsequently automatically connect to the Sonos system present in its location
If that works it would be great. I will try.

A little counterintuitive to need to wipe what i have to get a new location up and running to the point where it is "fully functioning".

Thanks.

A little counterintuitive to need to wipe what i have to get a new location up and running to the point where it is "fully functioning".

I never need to reset or reload the controller when I'm in a "foreign" home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If that works it would be great. I will try.
Thanks.

To be clear, you're not wiping anything in your Sonos systems at either location, you're just resetting the controller app. If this works, it should be a one-off process.

I did not need to do this to get both of my locations up and running -- it was all seamless for me. However, your controller seems to be encountering issues, so resetting it seems like a sensible next step.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are 2 ways to setup when it comes to having 2 systems 2 homes.

Setup #1 - completely different setups (household IDs) as far as Sonos is concerned. You have one setup at your first location then when you go to second location you setup the new location from scratch like it is brand new system (just using same account credentials). You have to recreate all your settings etc. like it was a new system. However, when done you can go between houses and the controller will adjust to the location it sees (just like if I went to friends house with Sonos the controller will automatically come up with their house).

Setup #2 - extension of first house. This is the way we used to have to do it before the controllers would automatically switch between households. Its also a way to setup the new system faster. Setup your first house. Then take one of the units from house #1 to the second house. Plug it into router at second house and it will come up as the only unit but thinking its still in your old house. Add all the other units you want to this house (all your accounts and info will still be there because it still thinks your at your old house). When all done and have everything setup you can remove your House #1 unit from the system and return it to House #1. This is just an easier way as this way you keep your Sonos favorites and accounts from the first house. But it is now its own independent system - so changes in accounts or playlists at one house will still not replicate to the other house.

The ONLY way to move all Sonos Favorites and account settings from one house to another is to use a physical Sonos unit to move those settings back and forth (and setting up system anew from that unit each time).

It would be nice if there was some process to replicate settings between households online. But there is not.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
As pwt mentioned resetting the controller won't reset your playlist etc they are stored in the speakers themselves. You just want to prompt the app to look for the setup which it's not doing for some reason.

I never need to reset or reload the controller when I'm in a "foreign" home.

I have not even tried that yet. I refered to the initial setup of a new home (with brand new speakers).It left me no other option than doing what SEEMED o be a reset of the app, since it told me that i was on the wrong nework If the app manages to connect in my other place, to the other SSID, then fine. In that case, I would maybe have expressed the issue differently than the app did, and rather talk about a new network, not changing network.

Regardless, thanks for all the info and advice
When you launch a controller it will attempt to "discover" a SONOS system. If there is no system to discover, the assumption is that one is starting a new, factory fresh system.

As Chris notes in Setup #2 above, one must physically use a seed unit from the original system if the intent is to clone the original system. The controller will discover this unit and other units at the second house can then be added to the system. The seed unit can then be returned to the original home.

One point to keep in mind is that the local library is not shared between the houses. Immediately after using the seed unit to start the second system, the library setups will be identical. Since each set of players will locally store it's own library setup (which includes Sonos Playlists), any changes made in one house would need to be manually updated in the other house. Of course, online services will be available in both houses. Note, however, some services will not allow simultaneous play in both houses.
I have to go to advanced settings and reset controller approximately every other time I switch between work and home. I'm sick of it. Until it gets fixed please don't bury reset controller so far in the menu. I keep hoping every update this gets fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have to go to advanced settings and reset controller approximately every other time I switch between work and home. I'm sick of it. Until it gets fixed please don't bury reset controller so far in the menu. I keep hoping every update this gets fixed.
In that case, something’s not working properly in your specific setup. I move between Sonos systems at two different locations without any requirement to reset the controller, ever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could use a third-party app to switch between configured systems, as they care less about binding to households than the official app does. For example i use SonoPhone and to switch between two entirely different systems I just force-kill the app, switch wifi networks, then run the app again. It automatically finds the players on whichever network it is on. SonoPad is the same, and my own apps work this way too.