TV Not Supporting 5.1 Thru Optical

• 6 October 2018
  • 5 replies

I just purchased the Playbar, and 2 - Play: 1’s for my surround sound. I have a 4K TV, Xbox one X and PS4 Pro, all running HDMI into the TV. Optical cable from TV to the Playbar. The Playbar is showing only stereo signal, I have a feeling the TV I have does not support 5.1 Output through optical. When I plugged the optical from the Playbar into the One X, it switched to 5.1. Is there any way for me to wire this so I can use the PS4 as well with 5.1 without switching optical cables every time. Please Advise, Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What TV specifically? My Samsung needed an EDID Faker to emit 5.1, my LG required a "secret" service menu (had to buy a special remote to do it).
It is a Hitachi
I was thinking maybe an external HDMI switcher
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi I had same issue with my LG tv so I used and external HDMI/OPTICAL switch pic attached cost me £15 works fantastically well. As long as the signal is being transmitted in 5.1 ie some stuff on amazon for instance is only stereo
Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is what I used on my Samsung. I previously tried a switcher but I found it too inconvenient. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL