Question

TV mute & TV volume control only works on Beam and not remote speakers in same Group

• 1 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Config:
Beam connected to TV via HDMI ARC and hardwired to Ethernet LAN.
2 x One SL as Stereo Pair with Wi-Fi to same LAN as Beam.
Beam + 2 x One SL in a single Group with Everywhere enabled (Sonos iOS app).

Problem:
When press Mute on the TV control, the Beam mutes but the remote stereo pair does not mute and both One SL speakers keep playing.
When press Play/Pause on the Beam, the Beam mutes but the remote stereo pair does not mute and both One SL speakers keep playing.
When turn volume up/down on the TV control, only the Beam volume changes and the remote stereo pair (both One SL speakers) does not change volume.
When turn volume up/down on the Beam, only the Beam volume changes and the remote stereo pair (both One SL speakers) does not change volume.

Expected behavior:
Pressing TV remote mute mutes all speakers in the same group.
Turning TV remote volume up/down changes volume on Beam and both One SL (all speakers in the same group).

Have also tried:
Setting up each One SL as individual speaker in the same group, rather than a stereo pair. Same behavior.
Sonos app on iPhone turns volume up/down on all speakers at the same time -- should work the same way from TV remove volume control but does not.

Additional info:
My goal is to have Beam + 2 x One SL playing the same TV sound or Spotify music, with mute and volume control over all speakers from TV remote (for TV sound) or iOS app (for Spotify sound). Objective is to fill entire room uniformly with the same TV sound or Spotify music, and *not* Surround Sound which has a completely different sound profile and does not uniformly fill the entire room with the same sound.

Please advise:
Is there some setting I'm missing that needs to be made to fix the TV remote mute & volume control for all speakers at same time? As noted above I do *not* want Surround Sound as it does not uniformly fill the room with the same sound content and level.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

No, unfortunately not. The Sonos uses the remote actions on only the speaker that is part of the “TV” room, and not any grouped rooms.

There are several threads asking for this feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Changing volume on the Sonos app (I do not see you mention this) should change the volume for the whole group. This could be a work around for part of your problem.