Turntable with Sonos

• 19 January 2019
  • 13 replies

I have connected my Turntable to my Sonos via a Connect Amp. The volume coming out is not very loud. I have the volume at full volume. How can i get this better.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
1) Make sure your TT has the required built-in or external pre-amp
2) Increase the amplification setting in 'Line-In Source Level' using a Sonos mobile app:

Room Settings -> 'RoomName' -> Advanced Audio -> Line-In -> Line-In Source Level
Have done those things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have done those things.
Then you should have stated that in your original post.
I have had the same problem using an old-school turntable... I made sure the pre-amp device was working properly (bought a new one....). And found out I did NOT need to connect the grounding cable (!), only then I got a decent (normal) volume..... "too much" "grounding"....
settings: sound > volume limit > off
advanced audio: > line in: connected > source level 10 (high)
advanced audio: > line in: vol. aut. play > yes (I have set the volume at appr. 40%)
advanced audio: output level > variable
And... use 'line in' to connect turntable to the Sonos Connect... 😉
Hi Guys
I have tried all of the suggest solutions. I can here the turntable playing, but only if I have the volume turned up to max. I am playing through a Sonos connect amp with a pair of speakers connected. I also have a play 5,3 and 2 1's connected to my system. Getting frustrated with this now.
Hi Guys
I have tried all of the suggest solutions. I can here the turntable playing, but only if I have the volume turned up to max. I am playing through a Sonos connect amp with a pair of speakers connected. I also have a play 5,3 and 2 1's connected to my system. Getting frustrated with this now.
Have you tried playing another line-out analog source through the Amp, that’s if you have such a thing to hand (and an RCA cable), just to check whether it’s the turntable/pre-amp, or an issue with the Amp itself?

Or test the Turntable/preamp with another Receiver. I would perhaps try to narrow things down to establish where the problem may lie. It sounds like some part of the hardware maybe faulty, more often than not it’s the pre-amp, but you really need to establish if that is the case here.
Just one question, do I need a pre amp unit if I have a connect amp? I do not have one, an d will it make a difference? I do not have any other devices I can test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just one question, do I need a pre amp unit if I have a connect amp?
Yes, as I stated in the first response to your original post:

1) Make sure your TT has the required built-in or external pre-amp
If you don't have a pre-amp either built in to your TT, or external, then that's your problem.
Trevb,

Yes, as stated by pwt, the pre-amp raises the signal to a line level signal, which is what the Connect Amp requires. It sounds like you’re missing that... but perhaps check your turntable manual to see if it has one built-in that needs to be switched on... sometimes the small switch can be underneath the platter. If there isn’t one, you will need to buy an external pre-amp.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.?
Thanks Ken, will let you know
Hi Ken, Just to update you. I bought a pre amp and that works perfectly. Well other than quite a high buzzing noice when the needle is first onto the vinyl.
Hi Ken, Just to update you. I bought a pre amp and that works perfectly. Well other than quite a high buzzing noice when the needle is first onto the vinyl.Glad to hear things are almost resolved. Perhaps see if this link may help with the initial hum noise...

http://best-turntables.com/how-to-fix-turntable-hu/

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings