Question

Turntable BT and Sonos Playbase

• 11 August 2017
  • 7 replies

How could I connect an Audio Technica BT Turntable with my Sonos Playbase? Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Assuming your Playbase is connected to a TV, you would need a Sonos device with a line-in in order to connect a turntable. Your choices (none of which are inexpensive) are the Play:5, which would give you a great powered speaker, a Connect:Amp, which you could connect to external speakers, or a Connect, which would be the least expensive option.

See this link for more info on the Sonos line-in option:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091
Thanks so much...but the sound will be coming from my Playbase? That is what I want.
My concern is that if I use a Play:5 the sound will come from there...so I guess my option is to get "Connect" but that will be connected to my Playbase and be able to reproduce the sound?
The line in source, whether through a Connect or Play:5, can be played through any Sonos speaker in the system.

Another possibility would be an analogue to digital converter (or does the turntable have digital output?) and an optical switch, into the Playbase without any other Sonos equipment.
The turntable is an Audio Technica AT-LP60WH-BT. It may connect through Bluetooth or via RCA. I wanted to have the turntable on top of the Playbase, so having a Play:5 there would not make sense. I have 2 questions:
1. If I connect via Connect, then I have to connect via RCA my turntable and then wirelessly Connect will send the signal to Playbase, but will that be good quality?
2. If I use a analogue to digital converter (from RCA to optical), then I have to use the optical port of the Playbase but how do I connect with the TV if that is using the optical port?

Thanks!
1. Yes that is right. There is no reason to think the sound would be degraded.
2. The opticals from the turntable (via converter) and the TV go to an optical switch. Then another optical from switch to Playbase. You can find switches with remote controls so you can choose TV or turntable.
Thanks! i think I will try the optical switch option! Great help!
Flexson make an RCA to optical converter. I have used a ViewHD switch and CYP also make them