Question

Trying to set up Play 5 and Bridge - getting “Register your Speakers”

• 20 October 2019
  • 4 replies

We have had our Sonos system for about 7 years but have just moved cross country. I was able to reset the Play 5 and the Bridge and everything looked good until the end. Now the app is just saying register your speakers, then when I pres the register button displays done and again goes to register your speaker screen, and again, again, and again I can not do anything. Any help is appreciated! 

4 replies

No, I would think there’s a software issue. I’d recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I experience the same issue with on of my old Play 5! I have a system with ten speakers that started to malfunction. Replaced my bridge with Boost and Factory resetted all system. All speakers except the oldest Play 5 installed fine and are up and working fine. The slightly newer Play 5 also installed fine, but the oldest go in to loop of trying to register without success! Tried wired setup with same bad result! Could it be some issues with backward compatibility of the software? 

We did try just connecting the Bridge to the router and then powering up both it and the Play 5 but the system didn’t find either. It was only after I did the reset and also connected the Play 5 directly to the router that I could get the system to find the speaker. Once that was set up, I removed the Play 5 from the router and tried to add the Bridge back in with it connected to the router with the cable and the speaker on WiFi. This all worked until the end, when we got the circular message about registering the speakers. 
Thanks for your response and any next steps you might suggest. 

What a shame you reset, if you mean factory reset. Simply connecting the Bridge to the new router and powering on the Bridge and Play:5 was all thst was necessary.

Having said, older Bridges can be unreliable. Forget the Bridge for a moment, wire the Play:5 and see if you can set up tje Plsy;5 as a new system. Then post back.