Answered

Trying to add a Sub but Sonos only sees 'some' playback units?

• 25 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Afternoon all,

Bit confused. Removed a SUB from the kitchen environment and replaced it with a new one. Only reason was the colour! Kitchen redecorated in white and a white sub fitted in more 😀

The (removed) black sub I created a location for in our Hall / Stairs area. That area already has two pairs of B&W CCM 682’s in ceiling … one pair in hall, one pair on landing. Also an existing Sub on landing.

Tried to add that and indeed the device was reset and added to the environment.

But when I try to add it to a room, only three Amps are visible. Interestingly the new black square Amp’s. The slightly older Connect Amps do not show in the app yet they are S2 compatible.

The Hall/Stairs/Landing device is an S2 Connect Amp. Arguably it could benefit from an upgrade to the 125W unit but surely that should show and allow the second Sub to be added to it?

Any ideas on that? I’m going to do a full network reset tonight and see if that helps. it’s been a while since it was all rebooted. The S2 app sees each room and device very happily and plays on all. is just when I try to add this sub to the older device that it is invisible.

Many thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by jgatie 25 August 2022, 21:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Does the Connect:Amp already have a Sub bonded? You mentioned “an existing Sub on landing”. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Does the Connect:Amp already have a Sub bonded? You mentioned “an existing Sub on landing”. 

It does Ratty yes. Essentially I’m looking to add a second Sub to that group.

You can only add a second sub to a Home Theater component.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Oh b*****. Never knew that. Thanks for mentioning jgatie. 

The Connect Amp is hardwired out to two pairs of in ceiling speakers. So I guess I could add another AMP at that same point. The evening just got expensive 😀 …. but better to know.

Just thinking on, does that explain why the units were not visible? Of the two that came up as options, one had a sub attached, the other not.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Oh b*****. Never knew that. Thanks for mentioning jgatie. 

The Connect Amp is hardwired out to two pairs of in ceiling speakers. So I guess I could add another AMP at that same point. The evening just got expensive 😀 …. but better to know.

Just thinking on, does that explain why the units were not visible? Of the two that came up as options, one had a sub attached, the other not.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Apologies Mod …. quite right of course. An expression of mock surprise rather than anger or outrage. A huge high spending week with Sonos just got a chunk higher 😀 

But more importantly I got the answer I needed. And hey an excuse buy a new Sonos box I consider a sport not a hardship. 

Many thanks again to jgatie for the answer. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Clarification to original post which may prove useful to folks finding the same situ as I have…. just realised that the ‘only’ two Sonos AMPS showing were indeed both Sub-less!

The one had no sub (until now by design) and the second of course had the sub removed for moving to the now confirmed location that needs a 2nd AMP adding.

So the SONOS logic yet again proves itself correct (as opposed to the slower acting end user here) … it only shows devices that a Sub has ‘not’ been added to …. whether that be by design or temporarily disconnected. 

Happy days …. sanity preserved and a yet again, a little learning gleaned 😀