Answered

Trueplay and Sub Gen 3

• 2 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Just picked up a Sub Gen 3 and have it as part of my Family Room system which is 2 Play Fives as a stereo pair. I ran trueplay in this group. When I de-couple the Sub from the family room and put it in my TV System which is a Playbar and two Ones for surround, do I need to re-run trueplay for the TV system? And rerun true play every time I switch the Sub between groups?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 October 2021, 01:05

View original

5 replies

Yes. TruePlay is “erased” when a room changes. So you’d need to run it every time you switch the SUB between the two “rooms” in the Sonos software. 

Yes. TruePlay is “erased” when a room changes. So you’d need to run it every time you switch the SUB between the two “rooms” in the Sonos software. 

Thank you for the reply. Obviously not what I want to do each time I switch the sub between groups/rooms. Getting a 2nd sub for the Family Room group is not an option (and leave the other sub in the TV System). I can leave trueplay off and see how it sounds each time I switch between groups, I guess. 

I've found TruePlay to be limited in value. In some cases, it’s great, in other cases, it doesn’t seem to make a huge impact. I’ve always credited that to the fact that I’m fairly aware of how I need to place my speakers, so there’s not much for TruePlay to overcome. Which means I also consider it more of a ‘marketing’ feature than a requirement. If it was really required, Sonos would have figured out a way to make it work with Android in some way.

You can certainly try it in your rooms and see if it makes a difference. Once it’s set up, there is a toggle in the ‘room’ in the controller so you can turn it on and off to see how it sounds. But, as I said earlier, the setting is erased when you change the speakers in the ‘room’, so you can’t set it up, turn it off, and have it ‘hide’ until you bring that ‘moved’ speaker back.

Badge

Some type of product to remember this stuff abs various other functionality be cool. Sobs thing to add value to speakers like a boost or amp per say. Heck saving a file in app or on a computer even seems logical. It really is just software or code I would think at this point? 

And the potentially complex additional memory needed to store the data on each speaker, which may not be there.

You may want to check your autocorrect. The last three posts you’ve made have had ‘abs’ instead of ‘as’. 

Not sure what you mean by ‘Sobs thing’. ‘Per say’ should probably be ‘per se’.