Answered

Troubleshooting SPDIF connection to Beam for Windows 10

• 31 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I’m struggling to get my Sonos Beam set up to play audio from my PC and was hoping someone might have seen my issue/have some troubleshooting tips!

I’ve been following this nice guide to get my Beam working with my Windows 10 PC. I bought the suggested DAC and installed the associated drivers. It all seems in order - there’s now a CMedia audio wizard in my System Tray, and when I plug in headphones to the `Front Out` port in the DAC I can hear audio from the PC. So far, so good!

Unfortunately I’m falling at the next hurdle - getting the audio through to be played out by the Beam. Using the CMedia wizard I can toggle the SPDIF out option (it’s obvious when this is on because you can see the red light coming out of the SPDIF out port on the DAC). I then attached the HDMI cable and HDMI-to-SPDIF adapter that came with the Beam. Having done this though, no audio seems to come out of the Beam!

I thought perhaps I’d need to go through the setup procedure in the Sonos App to get the Beam to recognise the input. However, when I do this the app tells me that it can’t find any HDMI-ARC input. I was expecting that the SPDIF adapter should convert into HDMI-ARC - perhaps there’s some “I’m here” signal that it’s not properly sending? Either way the app doesn’t seem to help me make any progress here :(.

So I’m at something of a loss! Ideally I’d try a different speaker and see if it’s a problem with the Beam or some other part of the setup, but I don’t have anything that takes SPDIF for me to test with. Is there some crucial step along the way that I’ve missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 31 July 2021, 00:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Did you set the supported encoded audio-out to use Dolby Digital, or the PCM codec will do, to get a format that the Beam will recognise? It will not play DTS, which I also see is in the list.

Aha, yes I missed that part out! After changing that around I’m able to get audio :).

Thanks Ken!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Seeing people reference and praise my post makes me blush a little XD

I actually made a google docs document (which is linked in the comments of my post) that is more clear, more structured, has updated details and actually mentions that the beam is only compatible with DD and PCM audio.

Here’s the link in case you missed it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YpR-9rFELC-qER_6ieMYcLXCtvKFGDOINqAK514qVsE/edit?usp=sharing

I update it every now and then when I make a discovery. I’ve had the system for 10 months now, so my discoveries are becoming fewer and far in-between, so do feel free to drop me a message with anything I can potentially add to the guide.