Tips and Tricks and Sonos 101

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I was thinking that a tips and tricks heading for Sonos users to share things would be nice.
A Sonos 101 heading in trouble shooting that tells them basics things to do when having troubles.

29 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
1) DO NOT factory reset your system just because you're having problems connecting to Sonos. You'll lose all of your subscriptions, favorites, custom radio stations. There's a solution to your problem, it just doesn't lie in performing a factory reset.

2) Ignore the "look for the green flashing light" message if you're adding a previously configured Sonos component to your system. Green flashing is only going to happen when it's first taken out of the box. Your already configured component will be steady white. That's fine.

3) Wireless Interference exists and is the primary source of problems that you might be experiencing. "But Nothing's Changed!". Yes, it has. Start by separating your Sonos components from cordless phones and chargers/base stations, wireless or Bluetooth devices, etc. Make sure there's at least 2 feet of distance between your Bridge/Boost and the router. Temporarily turn off you wireless cameras or baby monitors. Test if your system starts working again. You also might need to change the wifi channel that your Sonos and router is on. If you merely change the Sonos channel, the problem will come back. The router has to be moved to a static channel - 1, 6, or 11. Don't use any other channel, you'll be slowing down your home wifi if you do.

4) If a music service or radio stream keeps dropping out, temporarily wire a player to your router. Test playing the problematic service to that component only. If the service or station starts working reliably to that device, you problem is related to wireless interference in your home.

5) Streaming from your phone or tablet to Sonos can be flaky unless you're physically close to your router and you're not moving around with the phone/tablet.

6) Online music services are more reliable and easier to work with than local iTunes libraries or shared NAS devices. For $10 a month, you've saved yourself many hours of troubleshooting. If you think $10 a month is a cost you'd rather not pay, consider the electricity charges you're paying for by having to keep your computer or NAS on all of the time.
Badge +4
7) When a BRIDGE, BOOST or player is wired to your router, all Ethernet ports on your SONOS speakers will connect [anything that is plugged into them] to the Internet.

Don't plug too many things in that way or you might get problems with the reliability of your SONOS signal.
SBsurfer1 wrote:

6) Online music services are more reliable and easier to work with than local iTunes libraries or shared NAS devices. For $10 a month, you've saved yourself many hours of troubleshooting. If you think $10 a month is a cost you'd rather not pay, consider the electricity charges you're paying for by having to keep your computer or NAS on all of the time.

I don't know that I agree with this point. When you stream over the Internet you are adding a lot of additional points of failure between you and the music source:
Your ISP
The music service ISP
The music service hardware and software
etc.
A NAS connected to your LAN via a wired 100M or faster port will be much more reliable than anything that depends on the Internet. Multiply that by 10 if you live outside of a major metropolitan area. Multiply it by 10,000 after the coming Zombie apocalypse brings down the Internet entirely... so plan ahead!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
My thought was a tips and tricks heading but I guess this will work?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Other Apps

The following are not supported by Sonos

Apple Airplay
Sonos does not work with Airplay. But like a lot of things there are work arounds. You can plug an Airport Express in to a Play:5, Connect and a Connect:Amp and use the audio input. There is a program called SonosAir not supported or made by Sonos (Google it). It can also be used to play Youtube or anything on the computer you are running it on.

SonoAir
Play anything from you computer to Sonos
http://sonoair.mihosoft.eu/

Bluetooth
Sonos does not work with Bluetooth. But there is a work around by plugging in a Bluetooth transmitter to a Play:5, Connect and Connect:Amp audio input.

Sonos Voice
Use your speakers as an intercom.

Youtube
I use a Google Chromcast on my TV and cast from the computer to Chromecast and than to the PlayBar. So I can watch and listen to Youtube.

Check out SonosPad at the Apple Store.
A non Sonos control app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonosequencr/id967043604?mt=8

SonoSequencr
Ipad/ Iphone app

ZonePlay
Apple watch control of Sonos

Kronos
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kronos-connect/id819503214?mt=8

Stream what you hear (windows only)
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/forums/topic/sonos-is-supported/

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/a_howto_sonos_pc_speaker_free_with_stream_what_you_hear
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
If you have a problem that "never happened before" Try a reboot

IP’s address issues.
It is best if you reserve IP’s on your router for your Sonos gear so that after a power failure or internet faliure your Sonos gear will get the same IP. If you do not want to mess with this then understand you may have IP issues from time to time. If you do try this first;

Shut down all of the following, then re-power, in this order:

Modem
Router
Switches/hubs
Wired Sonos Players and Bridges
Wireless Sonos Players and Bridges
Controllers
NAS if you use one
Everything else (computers, printers, Phones, Tablets etc.)

Wait until the component is fully up before restarting the next on the list. You must do everything on your network, this will assure that all IP addresses are legitimate.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
This is a great idea, we've talked about something of the sort ourselves. What sort or other suggestions would you have for pro tips or tricks to share with others?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
8) the very useful but often overlooked 'double click on mute to go to next track'
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Sonos 101

Wire one of you Sonos products (speaker, Boost or Bridge) to your router so you are using SonosNet and give up on the Wifi only option.
Badge +4
Want to use SONOSnet and WiFi? Mixed Mode! (buzz said this might work but I'm posting anyway)

Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup, follow the instructions but don't unplug your SONOS device from the router.

Then any speakers out of the range of SONOSnet will connect to your WiFi.

Now when a speaker is out of range of SONOSnet but in the range of your WiFi, it will connect using WiFi and all speakers in range of SONOSnet will use SONOSnet.

(Could a SONOS rep confirm this? I've only seen it mentioned by buzz, who I trusted is correct.
If it does work, please edit this bit out and if it doesn't, delete the post.)
Ryan S wrote:

This is a great idea, we've talked about something of the sort ourselves. What sort or other suggestions would you have for pro tips or tricks to share with others?

My suggestion is that you take the posts - oops replies! - here as raw material for a locked by Sonos sticky topic that you compile from it that is prominently put up somewhere, and edited from time to time by Sonos folk only, adding Sonos contribution to it as well.
The problem with all internet places like this one is that the same questions get asked over and over again because earlier ones get submerged.
If you have one well constructed topic here, anyone posting a question can be directed to it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
upstatemike wrote:

SBsurfer1 wrote:

I don't know that I agree with this point. When you stream over the Internet you are adding a lot of additional points of failure between you and the music source:
Your ISP
The music service ISP
The music service hardware and software
etc.
A NAS connected to your LAN via a wired 100M or faster port will be much more reliable than anything that depends on the Internet. Multiply that by 10 if you live outside of a major metropolitan area. Multiply it by 10,000 after the coming Zombie apocalypse brings down the Internet entirely... so plan ahead!

Yes, a wired NAS will do the job well, BUT you need the technical chops to set it up, share it to Sonos and maintain it. Then you need to ensure your metadata is right. If you're a classical music fan, prepare yourself for many hours of reorganizing song metadata so Sonos can index things properly. Then you need to ensure there's a backup to the NAS audio in case of drive crash. And don't forget about the 65K song limit, which means you'll have to create a separate non shared music folder for the overflow. Finally, even if you have 100K songs, that's a fraction of the 25M a subscription music service will offer.

The problem with local music library sharing is this - most technically challenged folks will default to the least technically challenging (and regrettably flakiest) method of sharing an iTunes folder - setting it up on their local wifi attached PC or Mac. They won't have any idea about signal strength, local name resolution issues, cloud storage, or DRM protected M4P files. Think about the person who unwittingly bought thousands of songs from the iTunes Store before Apple did away with DRM. Yes, there's Match, but it adds more work. And imagine a shared music library Mac a few floors up or down in a home, connected to a wireless access point which in turn connects to the main router. It won't be reliable, but the garden variety consumer isn't going to know that. They're just going to complain about how badly their Sonos system works and how their summer bash was ruined because nothing would play.

Speaking of Zombie Apocalypse, when's the new season of "The Walking Dead" supposed to start?
SBsurfer1 wrote:

Finally, even if you have 100K songs, that's a fraction of the 25M a music service will contain.

The goal is to enjoy music, not to become a network engineer.

The problem with the first statement is that I have found that there are many albums that I have in my 15k song collection that aren't to be found in the 30M of any music service because the artistes won't give their music for streaming. Maybe this will change in future as music services become the only route to the listeners but for now I cannot rely only on music service providers.

Also, the same thing will apply once the net becomes as widely available as mains power is today. Until that happens, relying on only external to the home supplied music will remain a compromise.
SBsurfer1 wrote:

Speaking of Zombie Apocalypse, when's the new season of "The Walking Dead" supposed to start?

Fear The Walking Dead - June 29
The Walking Dead - October 11
SBsurfer1 wrote:

Yes, a wired NAS will do the job well, BUT you need the technical chops to set it up, share it to Sonos and maintain it. Then you need to ensure your metadata is right...

The problem with local music library sharing is this - most technically challenged folks will default to the least technically challenging (and regrettably flakiest) method of sharing an iTunes folder...

Both good points but I would rather see a solution that makes local library management easier than rely on the Internet as my main (or only) way to listen to music. I seem to recall that a lot of folks who depended on a music service for Holiday parties last year were seriously let down.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
- Your PC, Mac, phone, tablet, etc MUST be connected to the same wifi network that your Sonos system is attached to.

- Setting up Sonos on a wireless extender rather than the main router is unreliable and will likely result in music interruptions, player dropouts, etc. The further away the wireless extender is from the main router, the more unstable your Sonos system will be.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
How to tell if you are on SonosNet or not
Badge +3
Since this thread has turned into a tips and tricks repository, I'm going to slightly modify the title and put it over in Getting started. Nice work on some of these tips, everyone. Great stuff.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
So if none of the above works for you the next thing to do is "submit a diagnostic code." This is a repot that is sent to Sonos so a Sonos rep can pull your report and see what is going on. You should try to run the diagnostic code when you are having the problem. When you get the code number PLEASE START A NEW THEARD and post the number there. Please do not post the number on this thread. A Sonos rep will let you know what to do next. If you do not want to wait you can call Sonos with the number and they will be happy to help you.

Submit a diagnostic code
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/kw/submit%20diagnostic%20

Good luck
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

3) Wireless Interference exists and is the primary source of problems that you might be experiencing. "But Nothing's Changed!". Yes, it has. Start by separating your Sonos components from cordless phones and chargers/base stations, wireless or Bluetooth devices, etc. Make sure there's at least 2 feet of distance between your Bridge/Boost and the router. Temporarily turn off you wireless cameras or baby monitors. Test if your system starts working again. You also might need to change the wifi channel that your Sonos and router is on. If you merely change the Sonos channel, the problem will come back. The router has to be moved to a static channel - 1, 6, or 11. Don't use any other channel, you'll be slowing down your home wifi if you do.

To scan you home wifi environment:

http://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/

With this test you can see what channel you and your neighbor are using and the best ones for you to use.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
How to change channels on SonosNet

Click here
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Not my idea but a good one

Start default song or station from hardware button.

Use a timer (alarm) at zero volume, set to stop after 15 minutes to preset that station during the night. When you hit the button in the morning, the volume will be set to 15% and playback will start.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
SBsurfer1 wrote:

And especially Siemens Microwave Ovens (voice of experience)
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Want a play list to be ready at the touch of a button on the speaker?

Chris posted..

"This is what I have done ... .my bathroom speaker my wife will play various songs on at random times. I want a playlist that I can play each morning when getting ready.

So what I did was I set an alarm to Play the playlist I want for 4:00am and to play for 15 minutes at a 0 volume. So every day at 4:00am my Play:1 loads my playlist. It plays for like 15 minutes silently. Then stops. Then any time I walk in bathroom I can hit play and turn up volume and I have my playlist ready to go."
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Another way to get to "one button" and have your Sonos system play.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/can-i-create-a-button-to-automate-playing-music-on-my-sonos-6732493

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)