This Fall, Sonos Voice Assistant and Home Theater Operating System to Launch With Matter?

• 18 August 2022
  • 1 reply

This is a completely speculative inquiry that cannot be validated at this time, but I'm curious as to whether people believe it to be conceivable. Based on what I've observed and what's forthcoming, it appears to be a significant likelihood.

Sonos acquired the voice assistant business Snip some time ago, and it is now seeking a leader for its Home Theater OS division. While considering how consumers may subsequently utilise their own voice assistant to control not only music but also televisions, I recalled that Matter has also been delayed till this Fall.

Suddenly, I realised something because of this. What if Sonos takes advantage of this and creates not just a music/television voice assistant, but a full-fledged home voice assistant that will have access to a plethora of Matter-compatible devices this fall, thereby rendering Sonos independent of third-party voice assistants such as Google, Alexa, and Siri?

It will be intriguing to observe how this develops and whether it becomes a reality or not.

1 reply

Unfortunately, Sonos keeps these types of cards so close to the chest, none of us would have an idea whether or not Matter compatibility is a possibility. 

They did release the work inspired by the purchase of Snips already, as Sonos Voice Control. You can see the announcement in the “Announcements” area of the forum. 

Adding in Matter compatibility would be nice, I’ll grant you :)