The Computer "..."Cannot be Found

• 25 November 2011
  • 75 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello. I'm new to Sonos. Just bought a Bridge and Sonos 5 system. I'm using it with a Linksys router.
I am having problem importing music into my library from my computer. I keep getting the "computer cannot be found" message. I have turned off the firewall, so I know that's not the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Hello. I'm new to Sonos. Just bought a Bridge and Sonos 5 system. I'm using it with a Linksys router.
I am having problem importing music into my library from my computer. I keep getting the "computer cannot be found" message. I have turned off the firewall, so I know that's not the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you haven't already, install the PC/Mac software and try the install from there. If that is failing, make sure your music folder is being shared. This means you have to turn on sharing and enable the folder for sharing. Then do a manual setup of your music library and when prompted, browse to the music folder. If this doesn't work, something unique to yor system is blocking you and the best bet is to contact Sonos support. The will get you running in no time; they really are that good.
Ben_From_DC,

The firewall FAQ can be found at https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=692

Some VPN software can also give rise to the reported behaviour.

A clash between WiFi and Sonos can account for these symptoms too if the computer is operating wirelessly. Note that accessing the computer's music library via WiFi is not officially supported. It can work, but one compromises the benefits of SonosNet. Best results are usually obtained by setting WiFi to channel 1, 6 or 11 -- choosing one not used by Sonos -- and avoiding '40MHz'/'wide'/'turbo'/'up to 300MBps' modes.
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble setting up my new Sonos Play: 5 system.

Whenever i try to add a music share (my iTunes music library), i always get the following error:

Couldn't share music in the folder ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.

The computer "MACBOOKPRO-0F3E" cannot be found.
Make sure that Window sharing is turned on, and that the computer is on your network. Please also check your firewall settings.

Now, if that error doesn't come up, i get another one of the Sonos desktop controller itself at the bottom saying:

'//MACBOOKPRO-0F3E/Music' is no longer available. No indexing was performed on this share.

I have turned off the firewall completely on our router (home hub with BT Infinity) as well as on the mac.

Followed all instructions in the set up enabling File sharing etc. Also running all the latest software/firmware on the devices.

Im running it from a MacBook Pro running Lion.

Ive sent an email to support, but thought i'd hit the forums to see if there are any home remedies 🙂
Standard advice is to ensure that the computer name does not have any apostrophes, spaces, or special characters in the name and is 15 characters or less.

Try removing the "-" in your computer name.
Userlevel 2
Hi Mitchy,

I've sent an e-mail to your registered e-mail address to get in touch regarding this issue, I have a feeling I know how to take care of it, but need a diagnostic to confirm.

-Clay
Userlevel 2
Hi Guys/Gals,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Its safe to say it all working now.

Turns out the problem was with my computer name "Darryl's MacBook Pro". Changed the name to "Margerie" (we have a tendency to name things) and it just worked after that.

Thank you so much, you have reduced the amount of grey hair I am yet to receive!
Userlevel 2
Hi Guys,

I tried removing characters from my computer name as well but this problem still persists.

Any other ideas?
Userlevel 2
pearstac,

Shoot me a PM with a diagnostic confirmation number (click here for instructions) or reply here with that number and I'll take a look - if it's something simple we can just go from there.

-Clay
Userlevel 2
Hi Clay

Apparently I have the same problem as Pearstac and Mitchy.

My iMac (with OSX Lion 10.7.2) can not be found therefore my iTunes library can not be see by the controller v3.6.

I have changed the mac name to "iMacaleste" (taking out any strange character), but the problem is still there.

I have submitted a diagnostic, the number is 1976247
can you help me, please?

thanks
Stefano (Spain)
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I have a similar problem to this. I have just tried to install my new Sonos system and import music from my iTunes library, but my computer was called Chloé so I got an error message saying 'Chloé could not be found'

I changed the computer name to Chloe without an accent (as confirmed through the terminal) but now every time I try to search for the music, the Sonos system still tries to search for the computer 'Chloé' (as confirmed by the logs) and returns an error (despite reinstalling the software and resetting the speaker and bridge to factory settings).

My diagnostic number is 1990978, I'd be very grateful for any help in setting this up.

Thanks,
Chloé
Chloe,

Welcome to the forums.

Whilst Sonos staff do monitor these forums, the official channel for recording support requests is via http://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php and I'd suggest that -- to be safe -- you also complete a support request there.

Have you tried using a different name entirely for the device: one which could not be mistaken for the accented original?
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the reply, Ratty.

Since I posted, I have actually managed to sort the issue and get the system working. I did this by adding the library through the iphone app as I could type in the share directly as I wanted it, allowing it to find it. For some reason, the desktop controller was remembering the old settings and wouldn't find it.

Anyway, now that I have added the share using the iphone, all is working well and the desktop controller has also synced so the music library is now showing in there too.

Hopefully this work-around will help anyone else having similar issues.
Userlevel 2
Clay, please help. Thanks.

I have the exact same problem as the user below -- this is very frustrating -- please help!

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble setting up my new Sonos Play: 5 system.

Whenever i try to add a music share (my iTunes music library), i always get the following error:

Couldn't share music in the folder ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.

The computer "MACBOOKPRO-0F3E" cannot be found.
Make sure that Window sharing is turned on, and that the computer is on your network. Please also check your firewall settings.

Now, if that error doesn't come up, i get another one of the Sonos desktop controller itself at the bottom saying:

'//MACBOOKPRO-0F3E/Music' is no longer available. No indexing was performed on this share.

I have turned off the firewall completely on our router (home hub with BT Infinity) as well as on the mac.

Followed all instructions in the set up enabling File sharing etc. Also running all the latest software/firmware on the devices.

Im running it from a MacBook Pro running Lion.

Ive sent an email to support, but thought i'd hit the forums to see if there are any home remedies :)
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

I am also having trouble adding a music share.

Have scanned some of the forums/FAQ's for ideas but being fairly computer illiterate, struggling to get things to work.

Using PC laptop running Windows7 OS, Kaspersky Anti Virus (no Firewall though).

Have tried a few different things like:

1. Sharing Network folders with permissions
2. Tried to allow media streaming using Windows Media Player and followed Question ID 1051 (from memory) - no luck
3. Tried various set-up in Network and Sharing Centre - regarding Micrsoft firewall and allowing Sonos Controller as an exception
4. Submitted an incident - #120123-000186
No matter what I try (and probably mixing up many different issues no doubt), I am unable to add a music share and always get the message - The computer 'ComputerName' could not be found. Make sure the computer is on your Network or check firewall settings".

Anybody that could help even from the most basic of things would be much appreciated....
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

I am also having trouble adding a music share.

Have scanned some of the forums/FAQ's for ideas but being fairly computer illiterate, struggling to get things to work.

Using PC laptop running Windows7 OS, Kaspersky Anti Virus (no Firewall though).

Have tried a few different things like:

1. Sharing Network folders with permissions
2. Tried to allow media streaming using Windows Media Player and followed Question ID 1051 (from memory) - no luck
3. Tried various set-up in Network and Sharing Centre - regarding Micrsoft firewall and allowing Sonos Controller as an exception
4. Submitted an incident - #120123-000186
No matter what I try (and probably mixing up many different issues no doubt), I am unable to add a music share and always get the message - The computer 'ComputerName' could not be found. Make sure the computer is on your Network or check firewall settings".

Anybody that could help even from the most basic of things would be much appreciated....

Clay, please help. Thanks.

I have the exact same problem as the user below -- this is very frustrating -- please help!

If both of you could get me a diagnostic confirmation number (Instructions Here) and I'll have a look! =]

Cheers,

C
Userlevel 2
Hi Clay,

Please see diagnostic for me.

I have also posted a message for you on the Support Site under Question Reference #120123-000186.

Diagnostic# - 2015480

Regards
Userlevel 2
Clay - I submitted a diagnostic, #2014479. Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 1
The computer 'ComputerName' could not be found.

What is your computer's name?
Userlevel 2
jrh,

I don't see a recent attempt at sharing music - could you please try to share music from your Mac and then re-submit a diag?

-Clay
Userlevel 2
Clay - I just tried sharing/adding files again. The controller on my mac said it was adding files from my itunes folder, and then for quite a while it said it was indexing my files. But then it said that I had not shared any music, which of course I had. New diagnostic submitted; confirmation number is 2016212. Please help. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
jrh - shoot me a PM, I'd like to reach out and see what's up
Userlevel 2
I am having similar problems...

I am using connect:amps into my router.
my computer is a mac notebook running snow leopard.
i can play the radio through sonos but cannot access my itunes music.

i receive the following "the computer xxx cannot be found. make sure the windows sharing is on...."etc

my firewall settings do say that sonos controller is allowed access but it still does not seem to be picking it up.

all help greatly appreciated
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I have the same issue... cannot update the library as computer name cannot be found. I have changed computer name to "Mark" but to no avail.

Diagnostics yielded the following number... 2023946

Please help!
Hi. I have the same problem mentioned by others in this thread. I have removed all special characters from my computer name (a Mac), turned off and restarted all devices, etc, but the problem still exists. A number of participants in this thread have reported submitting diagnostics to Sonos, and then said their problem was fixed. Can you share the results of the diagnostics pls? What did Sonos tell you to do that solved the problem? Thank you
Userlevel 2
pomme4toi,

After those users submitted diagnostics I have reached out - not every case of this matter is identical and because of that there is no way to simply share a "solution." If you could submit the diag so I can take a look, we'd appreciate it!

Click here to get directions on how.

-Clay