The Computer "..."Cannot be Found

• 25 November 2011
  • 75 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi, I just installed a (second hand)ZonePlayer 90 and have the same problem as the users above. As everyone else was requested to submit system diagnostics, I already did this as well.
Confirmation number is: 2038057.
Thanks for your support.
Userlevel 2
After going through and applying the Sonos advised firewall settings for my PC system - even the McAfee version can make a difference in settings! - indexing my music files went flawless. I can even use my PC, which contains my music library, wirelessly and the streams just continu smoothly. 🙂
Userlevel 2
I'm experiencing the same problem where my computer cannot be found.

My diagnostic confirmation number is: 2042832

Thanks for the assistance.

Todd
Userlevel 2
Same problem 😞
My dad his mac worked, but mine didn't.
my diag number is: 2047899
please help,
Dieke
Userlevel 2
Hi, another one to add to the list, sonos can not find my music either. Says can not find "laptop" or "RTnetbook" (tried it on both), diagnostics came back as 2049386

Help much appreciated!!

Thanks
Userlevel 2
I just spoke with a Sonos Tech, and they helped me resolve the issue. Note that I have a Windows 7 64-bit machine. I had to change a simple registry setting as follows:

start: regedit.exe

navigate to:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters

open: DhcpNodeType

change to: 8 (mine was set to 2)

That was all that was needed.

Good luck!
I just spoke with a Sonos Tech, and they helped me resolve the issue. Note that I have a Windows 7 64-bit machine. I had to change a simple registry setting as follows:

start: regedit.exe

navigate to:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters

open: DhcpNodeType

change to: 8 (mine was set to 2)

That was all that was needed.

Good luck!

Damn! I thought it might cure mine. Followed your regedit trail but guess what? I don't have that parameter listed let alone set incorrectly - oh well, back to square one - thanks for the tip anyway.

TWD
Userlevel 2
TWD,

Can you diag me?

-Clay
Userlevel 2
TWD-
I'd highly recommend that you contact the Sonos folks directly via email or phone:

1.800.680.2345 or

email: sonos home page -> support section

I talked with Ryan at Sonos and he was very helpful.

Make sure to submit your diagnostics report first and they can look that up and figure it out quickly most likely.

Todd
TWD,

Can you diag me?

-Clay

Hi Clay,
Diags 2056445 submitted.

TWD
Userlevel 2
I'm a real newbie and I've just gone through a most frustrating experience:

1) Bought SONOS components two weeks ago - supposed to be really easy to set up according to the guy in the store who seemed to really know his stuff!!

2) Find I have to upgrade from Mac Leopard to Snow Leopard to use them

3) loose all my address book, calendar, skype etc. in process of upgrade - spend at least 20 hours so far trying to fix everything up and nowhere close to finishing ( Not Sonos fault I know)

4) try again with OSX 10.6.8 - seems to be going ok until I get to the point of adding music ( Main point of course)

5) no matter what I do the sonos controller on my Mac tries to find some other mac called MACBOOKPRO-ED5A. I have never ever had one by that name. There seems to be no way to convince the controller to take the name of my computer. I have no apostrophes or dashes in the computer name just blanks in between.

I am already really sick of this process and just want to throw it all out the window but as I take a deep breath I hope someone may have been able to find a way to sort this out. I seem to be close as my controller recognizes the two sonos components ok but just wont add my itunes library.

The radio options work well - just have to access iTunes :-)

HELP!!!

Diagnostic ref is 2058338

( Thanks for hearing me on this )
I have no apostrophes or dashes in the computer name just blanks in between.
That could well be the problem.

Standard advice for Apple devices is to have a computer name which does not have any apostrophes, spaces, or special characters in the name and is 15 characters or less.

These FAQs may also be useful:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1053
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/155

I am already really sick of this process and just want to throw it all out the window

Stick with it. We'll try to help.
Userlevel 2
Thanks!

I changed the name to 14 characters with no spaces.

Now the message at least says that my actual computer can not be found rather than some other computer out there.

Could you possibly have a look at the diagnostic file 2058338 and see if anything is obvious?

GW
GW-ab,

In spite of Clay occasionally dialoging with users, this is not an official support channel and only SONOS staff has access to the numbered diagnostics. User moderators, such as ratty and I, cannot access your diagnostics (and we don't know what a lot of it means anyway -- there is no documentation).

I suggest that you dialog directly with SONOS support.
GW-ab,

You may now have a firewall issue. This FAQ could be useful: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692

Here's the link to open an official support request: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask. You'll see there's a field for you to enter your diagnostic number.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the suggestion - I phoned customer support and they were helpful.

We did two things simultaneously so I'm not sure which one worked but I can now access my itunes library:)

We shortened the computer name to 9 characters and allowed access for requests from a number of processes that I had blocked in the firewall as I did not understand what they were or did. I'm suspicious of anything I can't identify and these had cryptic names:
cupsd
krb5kdc
nmbd
smbd.

Anyone know if these are services used by Sonos or something else?

We re-booted the modem / router a couple of times and did the same with the computer and started it after the router was up and running. On about the third try the music folder was found and it started the lengthy indexing process which does not show any sort of progress bar so I was never sure if it had quit or not as it did not appear to show a folder name at that time. I re-added the music folder a couple of times, eventually it worked.

Now I have music but it drops out terribly and frequently moves on to the next track after that happens - one message said that I don't have enough bandwith to allow proper buffering.

Is there any place to adjust the buffer size in the Sonos world or will I have to have the laptop connected directly via ethernet cable to the bridge ( which is upstairs so not where I want the Mac to be). Ultimately I suppose a NAS drive is the best solution but my wifi speeds are usually quite good so I hoped to have a reliable link and I was advised that the Sonos wireless connections are usually very good.

Are there steps I should take that might improve things?
Thanks!
GW
Anyone know if these are services used by Sonos or something else?
I don't know about the others but nmbd & smbd are Samba daemons, needed to support the SMB/CIFS file sharing that Sonos uses to access your music.

Now I have music but it drops out terribly and frequently moves on to the next track after that happens - one message said that I don't have enough bandwith to allow proper buffering.

Since you're on the line to Sonos Support my inclination is to ask them. A diagnostic taken within 10 minutes of a dropout should help understand what's going on.

If you want to do a basic check, verify your Sonos wireless channel (in the Desktop Controller it's under Settings>Advanced) then look at what channel your WiFi is using. Set your WiFi to a different channel to Sonos. Restrict your choice to 1, 6 or 11 and don't enable any option labelled '40MHz', 'wide', 'turbo', 'up to 270/300Mbps' or similar.

Is there any place to adjust the buffer size in the Sonos world or will I have to have the laptop connected directly via ethernet cable to the bridge ( which is upstairs so not where I want the Mac to be). Ultimately I suppose a NAS drive is the best solution but my wifi speeds are usually quite good so I hoped to have a reliable link and I was advised that the Sonos wireless connections are usually very good.

Sonos wireless is pretty robust, but you're asking WiFi to carry music for the 'first hop' and doing so will compromise the end-to-end stream. It's for this reason that Sonos won't support WiFi. That said, following the advice above with respect to channel assignments will give you your best chance of success.

Moving to a NAS is recommended not only because it would be wired but because you won't have to worry about a computer being present and awake in order to play your music.
Userlevel 2
Ah! Thanks Ratty. Looks like I was preventing Sonos from doing its job and its not as likely it was the name after all. I'll change back to a 15 character name, re-boot everything and see what happens when I have time. That might have been a red herring! When I've got that done I'll post back what I find so others don't have to go through the name change routine.

It would be good if Sonos posted in the Firewall FAQ which services will ask for access through the firewall rather than simply the list of ports used. I set my firewall to allow listed exceptions but ask about everything else for safety rather than accepting anything with a certificate.

Seems the best thing to do for a robust system is go NAS for the music 🙂 I'll have a look at a big raid drive for all my stuff but thats a new project. I still have to get the Mac back to where it was before I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Seems I should have used "migration assistant" before hand!

Thanks for the help,
GW
I'll change back to a 15 character name, re-boot everything and see what happens when I have time.
Standard advice -- for Apple at least -- is 15 characters or less and to miss out apostrophes, spaces, or special characters so you should be fine.

Seems the best thing to do for a robust system is go NAS for the music 🙂 I'll have a look at a big raid drive for all my stuff but thats a new project.

RAID is popular here, but generally people advise that you should also backup onto an entirely separate device, ideally stored offsite. Drives can fail, but so too can the NAS itself. It could also meet with physical misadventure.
Userlevel 2
I have the exact same problem, I have tried to disable firewall and antivirus program, sharing off and then on again, static ip.. Just can't figure it out.

Can you please look at my reference number: 2060359 to see if you can locate the problem?

Thanks in advance!
/Kim
kimschurmann,

Welcome to the forums.

Note that these are user forums and although Sonos staff do frequent them you'll be more assured of an official response if you file a support request quoting your diagnostic number.
Userlevel 2
Thanks, I will do so 🙂
Userlevel 2
I was having the stated "Computer Not Found" problem on Windows 7 and finally figured out how to fix it. Note that this has nothing to do with Firewall settings or rebooting all the devices. I tried all of that prior to figuring out the solution and it didn't work.

Here is my setup:

1) My PC is connected to a Verizon 4G wireless hotspot for Internet access. The hotspot acts as a mini router but does not have any ethernet ports (so I couldn't plug Sonos boxes into it).

2) I connected my PC's ethernet cable directly to the Sonos box. According to the docs (and past experience - I've had my Sonos system since 2004 or so). This direct connection used to work. It doesn't seem to work anymore though despite what the docs say.

What I discovered is that the PC connected directly to the Sonos box was obtaining an Auto-IP address as was the Sonos box. The PC could find the Sonos box but anytime I tried to add music to the library, the Sonos desktop controller would complain that my PC could not be found. My firewall was configured properly and the PC's name was correct despite what the error message said. I believe that this type of setup where the PC and the Sonos boxes are both obtaining Auto-IP addresses DOES NOT WORK! I think it used to but doesn't any more!

Here is how I fixed it:

I enabled Internet connection sharing on the local area network adapter on my PC. This assigned an IP address of 192.168.137.1 to my PC. Then, my Sonos boxes started being assigned IP addresses in the 192.168.137.xxx range.

Now everything works. My PC can see the Sonos boxes, my Sonos boxes can find my music libraries on my PC.

I hope this solved the issue for a lot of people...
Userlevel 2
Finally solved my issues! Turned out that DHCP was TURNED OFF on my router! Its a ISP router(Stofa Denmark), so I had to do it from their corporate website from "my settings page" and then reboot all my systems including the router... Now all my units have a IP within the same range, before they were all actually given a public IP address! Weird - that was the default setting. Well anyway, after rebooting, it works now!

So my tip is, check the IP of your PC and compare it to the one on the sonos - if they are not something like 192.168.x.x. or 10.x.x.x and they are not given an IP from the router! They should. Hope it helps someone out there 🙂
A few users have stumbled over this type of issue. It's usually pretty obvious because the ISP has laid down the rule that "you shall only be able to attach X devices" (X being a very small number).

Fortunately you have an ISP which offers an option to allow the router to behave as a regular gateway router. Some don't, and in such circumstances one needs to add one's own router.