Question

The all new BT Smart Hub (HH 6) - issues

Userlevel 1
Badge
I took delivery of the new BT Smart Hub today (ie the next one after the BT HH 5 - so effectively a HH6) - all good. I have separated the channels so that I have a 2.5ghz and a 5ghz network. I have followed the steps to put the Play 1 on the 2.5ghz network - but it keeps telling me to use 'use a 2.5ghz router' (or words to that effect) even though I am trying to connect to the 2.5ghz network.

I know this is new hardware - but if anyone else has managed to get this to work please let me know.

SONOS: can you get a BT Smart Hub for testing?

Regards

Steve

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Badge
I had problems with the Sonos with the BT smart hub 6 and reverted to Hub 5 and it then worked well.

Just recently I read that the BT smarthub 6 was now added to the Sonos 'compatible router ' list so I reinstalled the SH6 and believe it or not, it worked.

I made no changes to the SH6 settings and I can't believe that there was enough time between me connecting the SH6 and testing the Sonos for there to have been a SH6 firmware update so I am puzzled , but pleased.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
My solution was simply to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and then add factory reset SONOS components one by one again.

It worked first time with every device.

Ridiculous that neither SONOS nor BT advised this despite it being clearly suggested as a solution on the forums. Either way I'm p*ssed with SONOS and BT - I've wasted hours and so have they.

Factory resetting units is a last resort and for most people will cause more angst than it cures. This is why there is no general factory reset recommendations for particular issues. Also, it's worth noting that just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's the de facto HH6 solution. In fact it seems, to me at least, to be counter-intuitive that a factory reset should resolve a problem associated with a router
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Do you have different ssids and passwords for the two bands?

Yes - 2 seperate networks, different names.

Have you gone through the process to get the new Wi-Fi details into Sonos?

Yes - works on the old hh5 router. Not on the new hh6

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3144/~/switching-sonos-to-a-new-wifi-network
I am assuming you're running in standard I.e. wireless mode

Yes I am

Hi Sharan,

Please check the encryption type for your new router and make sure that the 2.4 Ghz signal is using WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Other encryption types are not supported.

If that doesn't work, please temporarily wire a Sonos unit in to your new router so you can connect a controller, then send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number. Here's how to submit reports.
Band steering didn't help, but for me mode 2 did the trick. Thanks all.
I would try reverting to Mode 1 after you've connected the Sonos. As I said, a couple of PLAY:1s connected to my HH6 happily in Mode 1. Mode 2 will compromise your 5GHz performance.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I installed a HH6 Type A a couple of weeks ago, split the bands, and named the 2.4GHz with the same SSID as I'd used before (I don't keep the default SSIDs). Everything connected to it without issue, including a small Sonos household which operates in WiFi mode. The Hub is in the default Wireless Mode 1, with WPA2 security. Smart Setup is off. WPS and UPnP control are also off. Band steering is off too, which may be relevant here.

OMG Ratty there should be a whole thread on here about the HH6, frankly and I'm very techie it was/is a nightmare to set up and had to turn off band steering etc to get anything to work, however my sonos setup went back on-line with ease (God bless you SonosNet).

As i'm typing that stupid advert for it is on TV, BT should change their trading name to BS. 😠
Splitting the SSIDs is advisable for some phones, which evidently get confused where both bands share the same SSID. On top of this the default band steering in the HH6/SmartHub can apparently try to shove Sonos off 2.4GHz onto 5GHz, which clearly won't allow it to connect.

User sharan found that it was also necessary to change to wireless Mode 2 temporarily for initial Sonos system setup.

Personally I always want to know which band/AP a device is attached to, so split the SSIDs anyway. A couple of PLAY:1s are on the HH6 2.4GHz SSID and I can confirm that a device attached to the 5GHz SSID was able to control them.
ok interesting. so if I re-enable 5Ghz then I can connect my phone to 5Ghz and it can still talk to Sonos... In theory.

I don't think my previous issue (when the SSIDs were combined) was a band steering kicking off issue as I am set up in Boost mode so presumably Sonos was in 5Ghz anyway - the only thing that wasn't is my Sonos controller (iphone)..

Also for the HH6 people are recommending turning off "Smart setup". Why is this suggested?

One last question (maybe?!) I am getting quite a lot of dropouts - tracks randomly stop playing and have to be restarted. The tracks are off my NAS which is wired into the HH6 so it cant be a wifi issue. Perhaps its a wifi interference issue but my HH6 is connected to channel 1 and my sonos to channel 11. Any ideas?
I don't think my previous issue (when the SSIDs were combined) was a band steering kicking off issue as I am set up in Boost mode so presumably Sonos was in 5Ghz anyway - the only thing that wasn't is my Sonos controller (iphone)..
Ah, I'd assumed you were attempting 'Standard Setup' (WiFi) mode, not using SonosNet. If you have a BOOST (or any other Sonos component) wired it shouldn't make any difference which band the phone's attached to. (FWIW Sonos only uses 5GHz for units bonded to the PLAYBAR, otherwise it's always 2.4GHz.)

Given your comment about dropouts, there are potentially other network issues which could account for the "You are on Network X, Sonos is not" message. Firstly ALL devices on your network would have required a reboot (or a forced disconnect/connect) following the HH6 installation. They all need fresh, unique IP addresses. Secondly your BOOST should ideally be placed at least 0.5m from the HH6.

Also for the HH6 people are recommending turning off "Smart setup". Why is this suggested?

"Smart setup" has been a feature of recent HHs, not just HH6. It puts up an annoying welcome screen when a new device connects for the first time. Turn it off.
Badge +3
I just got a HomeHub 6 and have a similar issue with my Sonos. Everything works except the Playbar which works after a reboot for about a day or so but then disappears.

Is there a proper solution for this ye? The Sonos support site still says the HH6 has an issue where it duplicates IPs and will hopefully be fixed with a firmware update but who knows when that might be.

Is a solution to give each Sonos device a static IP?
If you can reserve the IP addresses in the router then that may help but if you've replaced your router you'd be strongly advised to reboot EVERY device connected to the network, Sonos and non-Sonos, otherwise you're quite likely to have duplicates regardless of the router.
I'm not sure reserving IPs will help. By default the HH6 assigns the same address to a device as it used before, quite possibly because it hashes the MAC address to calculate the IP,

As I understand things the problem is that the HH6 mistakes the IP requests from the PLAYBAR's satellites (SUB, surrounds) as coming from the PLAYBAR itself, thereby handing out duplicates. AFAIK no-one has publicly stated whether this affects systems in SonosNet ('BOOST Setup') mode as well as WiFi mode.
Badge +3
I've disabled the 5Ghz network and everything seems to be behaving.
I've disabled the 5Ghz network and everything seems to be behaving.
There have been suggestions that leaving the HH6 5GHz named the same as 2.4GHz and keeping band steering enabled could upset Sonos units trying to connect in WiFi mode (Standard Setup).
Badge +3
I'm having the same issue even with 5Ghz disabled so I'm not sure what else to try. Sonos say to get a HomeHub 5 which isn't very helpful.
I'm having the same issue even with 5Ghz disabled so I'm not sure what else to try. Sonos say to get a HomeHub 5 which isn't very helpful.
What else can Sonos do? The fault is apparently with the BT firmware.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42
This router is known to issue duplicate IP addresses which may cause Sonos players to not connect.
This issue will likely be resolved in a future firmware update from BT. You may want to contact BT directly and request a HomeHub 5 if you do not wish to wait for a fix. No ETA for a fix is available at this time.
Badge
[quote=ratty]I'm having the same issue even with 5Ghz disabled so I'm not sure what else to try. Sonos say to get a HomeHub 5 which isn't very helpful.

I know I may be preaching to the converted and that this is not a direct solution for the UK users. However, I've bought an Openreach modem from eBay ( cost me about £20 which is an average price ) - I can now attach whatever router I wish to it without worrying about the problems that the HomeHubs seem to generate.
Badge +3
Changing the lease period to 21 days instead of 1 seems to be a good workaround. Hopefully it means I only need to reboot every 21 days and not daily. It's been about a week now with no issues.
Badge
Just to keep this thread alive - Although a friend in the village has no problems with his BT Smarthub 6 I could not get my new Sonos system to work reliably with my Smarthub 6 which was a pain. In the end i reverted back to the Smarthub 5 and everything is well with the world again. Sonos explained that the Smarthub was creating duplicate Internet addresses but that is all beyond me. I tried to discuss with BT but the man denied knowledge of the problem and didn't understand anyway. He assured me that as and when a fix was available it would automatically update my hub with a firmware update OTA. Frankly I cannot keep messing about with it so I hope that in the fullness of time someone here will confirm that all is well and I can reinstall my Smartbub6.
I have the same issue - I'm astounded that BT have known about this for months (almost a year) and yet have not addressed this issue.

I've just come off hours of SONOS support (who interestingly have only today told me about the BT SmartHub 6 issue which is also frustrating) and BT are sending me a free SmartHub 5. At least then I can test it.

In the meantime I guess I separate the 2.4 and 5 networks and try various things to switch them off and on and see if SONOS likes any of it...

Any more advice welcomed. Frustrated with both SONOS and BT at this point - I wonder if SONOS have been onto BT with formal complaints to get this fixed? I've just logged a formal complaint to BT as at least this contributes to them sorting this nonsense out.
My solution was simply to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and then add factory reset SONOS components one by one again.

It worked first time with every device.

Ridiculous that neither SONOS nor BT advised this despite it being clearly suggested as a solution on the forums. Either way I'm p*ssed with SONOS and BT - I've wasted hours and so have they.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have one of these new hubs arriving in the next few days. Is it really a nightmare? Might leave it in the box like the man from Del Monte when he said "No".
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Mine works fine. Another regular poster also has one. I anticipate you won't have any issues
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks. I will give it a go as it was a freebie. Hopefully it will be plain sailing.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Installed ok and no problems to report so far. Does anyone know if BT's Whole Home causes any conflicts with Sonos?
Again to keep the thread alive, I have only a play 5 but it will not reconnect to the new BThub6, I go through the standard set up but it does not see my connection leaving me to manually input it, which does not work, do I need to go into the hub settings or is there now an easier way, at the moment it's hard wired next to the hub, but looking to get a sub so need the wifi working.