Question

The all new BT Smart Hub (HH 6) - issues

Userlevel 1
Badge
I took delivery of the new BT Smart Hub today (ie the next one after the BT HH 5 - so effectively a HH6) - all good. I have separated the channels so that I have a 2.5ghz and a 5ghz network. I have followed the steps to put the Play 1 on the 2.5ghz network - but it keeps telling me to use 'use a 2.5ghz router' (or words to that effect) even though I am trying to connect to the 2.5ghz network.

I know this is new hardware - but if anyone else has managed to get this to work please let me know.

SONOS: can you get a BT Smart Hub for testing?

Regards

Steve

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

I had the same problem as the original post that started this thread, with my BT smart hub 6 router and could only connect one of them, initially with an Ethernet cable. I tried a lot of things and ended up tweeting Sonos support who were fabulous. I simply had to unplug the router for 30 seconds, plug it back in and then I could add my other speakers one by one (by this point, in desperation, I had hard-reset each and every speaker, 'forgotten' the Sonos network and reset the iPad controller; I wonder if I'd have had to do all that if I'd only started by unplugging the router for 30 seconds). Oh - I also haven't done anything fancy like separating the 2.4 from the 5Ghz.
Thanks Stuart , splitting the bands and connecting the controller & Sonos to 2.4GHz has worked, the Sub is back on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Could be. Go into the Wi-Fi settings and forget the 5GHz and connect to the 2.4 GHz.

I would have thought the HH6 would pass traffic between the two but it is worth trying
Yes looks ok, Sonos is showing connected to one of the ports( hard wired), there are other devices connected to the 2.4GHz channel, how do I push the Sonos onto this? My iPod touch ( controller) is connected to the 5GHz channel , is this the problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a Bridge wired to my HH6 so don't have Sonos connected/linked via wireless. Check in your router settings that the 2.4GHz is working/activated.

Log into the router here and you will need the Admin password http://192.168.1.254/0000016400/gui/#/main/
Hi Stuart, thanks for quick reply, yes play 5 is hard wired to hub I follow the below,
Advanced settings
Wireless set up
Network name- none shown, so try to input my hub name but just goes back to previous screen when you press done.
It does say on this screen that the network should be 2.4GHz.
Any help much appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What do you mean by "but it does not see my connection leaving me to manually input it"?

Do you mean when you go into Wireless setup on your app it doesn't show the network you are on?
Are you doing this unplugged? You should try it when the Play 5 is wired to the router and type in the wireless password when prompted by the Sonos app.

Whichever way you do it you HAVE to enter the Wi-Fi credentials into the Sonos app/controller
Again to keep the thread alive, I have only a play 5 but it will not reconnect to the new BThub6, I go through the standard set up but it does not see my connection leaving me to manually input it, which does not work, do I need to go into the hub settings or is there now an easier way, at the moment it's hard wired next to the hub, but looking to get a sub so need the wifi working.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Installed ok and no problems to report so far. Does anyone know if BT's Whole Home causes any conflicts with Sonos?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks. I will give it a go as it was a freebie. Hopefully it will be plain sailing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Mine works fine. Another regular poster also has one. I anticipate you won't have any issues
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have one of these new hubs arriving in the next few days. Is it really a nightmare? Might leave it in the box like the man from Del Monte when he said "No".
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
My solution was simply to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and then add factory reset SONOS components one by one again.

It worked first time with every device.

Ridiculous that neither SONOS nor BT advised this despite it being clearly suggested as a solution on the forums. Either way I'm p*ssed with SONOS and BT - I've wasted hours and so have they.

Factory resetting units is a last resort and for most people will cause more angst than it cures. This is why there is no general factory reset recommendations for particular issues. Also, it's worth noting that just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's the de facto HH6 solution. In fact it seems, to me at least, to be counter-intuitive that a factory reset should resolve a problem associated with a router
My solution was simply to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and then add factory reset SONOS components one by one again.

It worked first time with every device.

Ridiculous that neither SONOS nor BT advised this despite it being clearly suggested as a solution on the forums. Either way I'm p*ssed with SONOS and BT - I've wasted hours and so have they.
Badge
I had problems with the Sonos with the BT smart hub 6 and reverted to Hub 5 and it then worked well.

Just recently I read that the BT smarthub 6 was now added to the Sonos 'compatible router ' list so I reinstalled the SH6 and believe it or not, it worked.

I made no changes to the SH6 settings and I can't believe that there was enough time between me connecting the SH6 and testing the Sonos for there to have been a SH6 firmware update so I am puzzled , but pleased.
I have the same issue - I'm astounded that BT have known about this for months (almost a year) and yet have not addressed this issue.

I've just come off hours of SONOS support (who interestingly have only today told me about the BT SmartHub 6 issue which is also frustrating) and BT are sending me a free SmartHub 5. At least then I can test it.

In the meantime I guess I separate the 2.4 and 5 networks and try various things to switch them off and on and see if SONOS likes any of it...

Any more advice welcomed. Frustrated with both SONOS and BT at this point - I wonder if SONOS have been onto BT with formal complaints to get this fixed? I've just logged a formal complaint to BT as at least this contributes to them sorting this nonsense out.
Badge
Just to keep this thread alive - Although a friend in the village has no problems with his BT Smarthub 6 I could not get my new Sonos system to work reliably with my Smarthub 6 which was a pain. In the end i reverted back to the Smarthub 5 and everything is well with the world again. Sonos explained that the Smarthub was creating duplicate Internet addresses but that is all beyond me. I tried to discuss with BT but the man denied knowledge of the problem and didn't understand anyway. He assured me that as and when a fix was available it would automatically update my hub with a firmware update OTA. Frankly I cannot keep messing about with it so I hope that in the fullness of time someone here will confirm that all is well and I can reinstall my Smartbub6.
Badge +3
Changing the lease period to 21 days instead of 1 seems to be a good workaround. Hopefully it means I only need to reboot every 21 days and not daily. It's been about a week now with no issues.
Badge
[quote=ratty]I'm having the same issue even with 5Ghz disabled so I'm not sure what else to try. Sonos say to get a HomeHub 5 which isn't very helpful.

I know I may be preaching to the converted and that this is not a direct solution for the UK users. However, I've bought an Openreach modem from eBay ( cost me about £20 which is an average price ) - I can now attach whatever router I wish to it without worrying about the problems that the HomeHubs seem to generate.
I'm having the same issue even with 5Ghz disabled so I'm not sure what else to try. Sonos say to get a HomeHub 5 which isn't very helpful.
What else can Sonos do? The fault is apparently with the BT firmware.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42
This router is known to issue duplicate IP addresses which may cause Sonos players to not connect.
This issue will likely be resolved in a future firmware update from BT. You may want to contact BT directly and request a HomeHub 5 if you do not wish to wait for a fix. No ETA for a fix is available at this time.
Badge +3
I'm having the same issue even with 5Ghz disabled so I'm not sure what else to try. Sonos say to get a HomeHub 5 which isn't very helpful.
I've disabled the 5Ghz network and everything seems to be behaving.
There have been suggestions that leaving the HH6 5GHz named the same as 2.4GHz and keeping band steering enabled could upset Sonos units trying to connect in WiFi mode (Standard Setup).
Badge +3
I've disabled the 5Ghz network and everything seems to be behaving.
I'm not sure reserving IPs will help. By default the HH6 assigns the same address to a device as it used before, quite possibly because it hashes the MAC address to calculate the IP,

As I understand things the problem is that the HH6 mistakes the IP requests from the PLAYBAR's satellites (SUB, surrounds) as coming from the PLAYBAR itself, thereby handing out duplicates. AFAIK no-one has publicly stated whether this affects systems in SonosNet ('BOOST Setup') mode as well as WiFi mode.
If you can reserve the IP addresses in the router then that may help but if you've replaced your router you'd be strongly advised to reboot EVERY device connected to the network, Sonos and non-Sonos, otherwise you're quite likely to have duplicates regardless of the router.