Answered

Teac TN-300 set-up w/ Sonos Connect? Adding wireless microphones w/ Sonos Connect Amp?

• 3 April 2019
  • 1 reply

I have a brand new Teac TN-300 record player with a built in amp. I want to hook it up to existing Sonos speakers. I have a Sonos Bridge, but I believe I need to buy a Sonos Connect to replace the Bridge to connect to Sonos speakers. Is this correct?

2nd question... suppose, I also want to connect wireless microphones to my Sonos Speakers for home karaoke system. Would I then need a Sonos Connect Amp in place of the Sonos Connect to connect BOTH the Teac TN-300 record player and the wireless microphones?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 April 2019, 06:11

The Sonos CONNECT isn't a swap for the BRIDGE....although at this point, you could do away with the BRIDGE and plug in the CONNECT if you so desired. Quite a few years ago, Sonos made it so that all of their devices would function as a BRIDGE.

Second question is much more problematic. Sonos has a 70ms delay on all analog inputs. So any microphones that are connected (and honestly, your turntable as well) will suffer a slight delay, which makes using the Sonos system as Karaoke extraordinarily challenging. Like singing in a stadium, where the speakers are echoing behind what you're singing. And since you can only be playing one input at a time, how would you get both the microphone and something else at the same time?

And the CONNECT:AMP is designed to power speakers (hence the AMP in its name), so it is basically a CONNECT with the addition of power so that it can push a non0-Sonos set of speakers.
View original

1 reply

The Sonos CONNECT isn't a swap for the BRIDGE....although at this point, you could do away with the BRIDGE and plug in the CONNECT if you so desired. Quite a few years ago, Sonos made it so that all of their devices would function as a BRIDGE.

Second question is much more problematic. Sonos has a 70ms delay on all analog inputs. So any microphones that are connected (and honestly, your turntable as well) will suffer a slight delay, which makes using the Sonos system as Karaoke extraordinarily challenging. Like singing in a stadium, where the speakers are echoing behind what you're singing. And since you can only be playing one input at a time, how would you get both the microphone and something else at the same time?

And the CONNECT:AMP is designed to power speakers (hence the AMP in its name), so it is basically a CONNECT with the addition of power so that it can push a non0-Sonos set of speakers.