Answered

TCL Roku TV and Play 5

• 19 July 2018
  • 2 replies

I just bought a new TCL Roku tv. We have a play:5 set up in the family room and I'm told I can link the two and use the play:5 for the tv sound using the regular remote. But I can't figure out how to do it. Help!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 July 2018, 01:11

Not a recommended setup, whoever told you it could be done was being either generous, or disingenuous, or just didn't know.

You can take an analog audio output from the TV and connect it to a line in on the Play:5, and use it that way. There will be, depending on the line-in settings, at least a 70ms delay between the video and the sound, and potentially more. Not an excellent experience, all told.

Sonos does make devices designed to be connected to TVs, called the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, and Beam.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Not a recommended setup, whoever told you it could be done was being either generous, or disingenuous, or just didn't know.

You can take an analog audio output from the TV and connect it to a line in on the Play:5, and use it that way. There will be, depending on the line-in settings, at least a 70ms delay between the video and the sound, and potentially more. Not an excellent experience, all told.

Sonos does make devices designed to be connected to TVs, called the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, and Beam.
Hi!
I partially agree with Airgetlam who replied to your post saying that the best way for a tv sound was to use either sonos playbar or a beam. However, I do have two play 5s in my kitchen that I used for listening to the music only. Then I installed a TV in my kitchen and didn't wanna spend another $700 for the playbar. Since Play 5 speaker does not have an optical input I had to buy an optical to analog converter (as Airgetlam suggested in his post) and prayed for no delay between the video and the sound. May be I got lucky, but I have no delay whatsoever between the picture and the sound, everything is perfectly in sync. Obviously you'll be getting only stereo sound but in my case for the location of the TV (my kitchen) is more then enough. At least I have a beefy sound form my two Play 5s then from any TV speakers. Hope it helps.