Answered

Synching the new AMP with other rooms

I am about to put some outdoor speakers in my garden and like the look of the new AMP which seems to have a decent amount of power for them.

Before I go ahead and pull the trigger I wanted to check 2 things.

Because the AMP Connect seemed underpowered for my needs, my original plan was to buy a non Sonos amp and use a Sonos bridge to link it to my system. It would be considerably cheaper to do this and I plan on using 3rd party speakers outside anyway (the new Architecture ones only come in white which would not work and are also very expensive).

What would you say is the benefit of going for the new £599 AMP over the 3rd party option linked to a bridge?

Secondly, in either case, am I likely to run into any difficulties synching my 3 areas?

I have an open plan living room / kitchen and at the moment have 2 x Play 1, Soundbar and Sub set up in the living room for both music and surround sound and I have a further 2 x Play 1 in the kitchen just for music. I want to be able to play music in both rooms and the garden at the same time, or in just one space. I cannot see a reason why this would not work but just wanted to make sure.
icon

Best answer by John B 7 February 2019, 11:18

The advantage of the Sonos Amp over Bridge + non-Sonos amp is that it would work. You would actually need a Connect, not a Bridge, so I doubt it would be cheaper.

The Sonos Amp would sync perfectly for music. This would not be guaranteed for Connect + other amp, but would probably fine with a hifi amp (as opposed to an AV receiver).

View original

9 replies

Quick follow up question. If I did go for the AMP, would I be better off using it near the TV for surround sound too? I was going to place the AMP near the outdoor speakers but then it would not be near the TV.
The advantage of the Sonos Amp over Bridge + non-Sonos amp is that it would work. You would actually need a Connect, not a Bridge, so I doubt it would be cheaper.

The Sonos Amp would sync perfectly for music. This would not be guaranteed for Connect + other amp, but would probably fine with a hifi amp (as opposed to an AV receiver).
Thanks I got my Connect and Bridge mixed up. You are of course correct, the price differential is not much when that is factored in.

Do you have any thoughts on whether I should therefore be using the AMP to drive the TV/Surround sound set up too?
Hi. I would go as far as to say that an Amp is likely to give you a better performance than you would get from a £250 amp + Connect, although I won't be sure until my Amp arrives next week. I intend to set mine up for TV sound and music, and I am hoping it (plus my floorstanders) will replace my Playbar for TV and my hi-fi for music. It is certainly designed to do both.

It will sync perfectly for music with any grouped speakers. It will be fine also with bonded surround speakers. TV sound won't sync perfectly with other grouped speakers, but that is the same as the Playbar etc and not an issue for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
vonmarshall wrote:

Thanks I got my Connect and Bridge mixed up. You are of course correct, the price differential is not much when that is factored in.

Do you have any thoughts on whether I should therefore be using the AMP to drive the TV/Surround sound set up too?

In case it's not clear, you NOT would be able to use the same amp to drive your outdoor speakers AND your TV/Surround setup. You would need 2 amps to accomplish that. If you did use an amp for your living room, you'd be replacing your playbar with the amp and 2 additional passive speakers (assuming you don't have spares laying around).
I like the AMP concept and think it would appear to be the best way forward for me seeing as I have no spare amps or passive speakers kicking about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
melvimbe wrote:

vonmarshall wrote:

In case it's not clear, you would NOT be able to use the same amp to drive your outdoor speakers AND your TV/Surround setup. You would need 2 amps to accomplish that. If you did use an amp for your living room, you'd be replacing your playbar with the amp and 2 additional passive speakers (assuming you don't have spares laying around).

My apologies @vonmarshall I inadvertently left out the word NOT in my previous post.
Hi Melvimbe

I have 3 zones...

Living room which is Soundbar & Sub & 2 x Play 1
Kitchen which is 2 x Play 1 (and the kitchen opens onto the garden)
Garden which is 4 x Passive

What you are saying, if I am correct, is that I should run the surround sound in the Living room off the Soundbar and run the outdoor speakers off the AMP.

Would this stop me from synching all 3 areas when I want to use the soundbar & sub with kitchen and outdoor speakers? I certainly want to be able to play music in the kitchen and garden in synch. If I cannot synch the living room it is not the end of the world but it would be nice to if possible.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
vonmarshall wrote:

What you are saying, if I am correct, is that I should run the surround sound in the Living room off the Soundbar and run the outdoor speakers off the AMP.

This is what I would recommend, yes.

vonmarshall wrote:

Would this stop me from synching all 3 areas when I want to use the soundbar & sub with kitchen and outdoor speakers? I certainly want to be able to play music in the kitchen and garden in synch. If I cannot synch the living room it is not the end of the world but it would be nice to if possible.

No, it would not. You will always be able to sync audio from music sources across any combination of your Sonos zones/rooms. When using a TV source, you'll get a slight delay in audio in the additional rooms you are syncing with. So for your case the living room audio will be in sync with the tv video, but other rooms will be around 70 ms behind. This is probably something you've already noticed, and is usually not a big deal, depending on how you've laid out your zones/rooms.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings