Answered

Switched to S2, but want to switch back to S1

• 7 July 2020
  • 9 replies

I upgraded to S2 to try a Sub I got as a gift. The sub doesn’t work with different speakers within the house - or couple with a Connect to go with non-Sonos speakers. You need to choose one only. So I returned it. Now I can’t switch my system back to S1. A customer rep told me I needed to reset all the speakers, but couldn’t tell me how, or what to do with in-wall speakers. They want to force me to upgrade my S1 speakers!

Sonos, you have lost a lot of customers with this debacle, and now one more. After 30 minutes or more just waiting to speak with customer service, and no answers, no call back after being disconnected (as the person tried to look up how to reset wall speakers). Is there no way to stay with S1? (I was fine with it) 

Oh, and no handle on the new Play 5? How dumb is that?

Will never ever recommend Sonos to a friend or anyone. Will actively seek out how to discourage anyone from using Sonos. Hope you lose your lawsuits!

icon

Best answer by controlav 7 July 2020, 00:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Pick one of your now-S2 devices, wire it to your router, and factory reset it.

Power down all remaining S2 devices.

Start the S1 app and “create a new system”, pick your S1 device.

Assuming that is good, power up one S2 device and factory reset that.

In the S1 app, Add New Player and add that device.

Repeat until all S2 devices “downgraded”.

Avoid S2 app entirely.

But I have in ceiling speakers. Can those be reset without taknig them out of the ceiling?

You’d reset the Amp or CONNECT:AMP that is sending the signal to those speakers. 

How do you "wire" a speaker to a router? With a lan cable?

Correct. A CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable between the speaker and a port on the router.

Hi,

I am having the same issues, but the solution is not working for me. Hopefully someone can help!

i have had a Play:3 since 2013 and this year I upgraded it to the new S2 system. Now I want to hook up my old record player to my Sonos system, so I got a Gen1 Connect second hand. However, that one is only compatible with S1. So I re-downloaded the S1 app, setup the connect.

Then I did a factory reset on my Play:3 (plugged in with Ethernet cable, pressed the sound button while plugging in the power. Waiting until it started blinking orange. Let go of the button and then the button turned green) and tried to connect the Play:3 to the S1 system. It doesn’t work though, because every time I try to add the Play:3, I get the message that my product is only compatible with S2.

Why is the downgrade not working? Does anyone have an idea on how I can get my play:3 and Connect to work together? 

Hi,

I am having the same issues, but the solution is not working for me. Hopefully someone can help!

i have had a Play:3 since 2013 and this year I upgraded it to the new S2 system. Now I want to hook up my old record player to my Sonos system, so I got a Gen1 Connect second hand. However, that one is only compatible with S1. So I re-downloaded the S1 app, setup the connect.

Then I did a factory reset on my Play:3 (plugged in with Ethernet cable, pressed the sound button while plugging in the power. Waiting until it started blinking orange. Let go of the button and then the button turned green) and tried to connect the Play:3 to the S1 system. It doesn’t work though, because every time I try to add the Play:3, I get the message that my product is only compatible with S2.

Why is the downgrade not working? Does anyone have an idea on how I can get my play:3 and Connect to work together? 

Try it without wiring the Play:3 and also uninstall the S2 Controller from your mobile device. When the Play:3 status light is flashing green, goto the S1 App, ensure the Connect appears in that App and first check for any updates. After completion of the updates (if relevant), goto ‘Settings/System/Add Product’ and try adding the Play:3 again… it should find it and downgrade the factory reset speaker.

Badge

how do you wire a Move to a router?  it’s my only S2 device and when i try to set it up i get stuck in “Use Sonos S2 app” mode.  (i have a Sonos Connect, which i think is my only S1 required device, so far :rolling_eyes: )

how do you wire a Move to a router?  it’s my only S2 device and when i try to set it up i get stuck in “Use Sonos S2 app” mode.  (i have a Sonos Connect, which i think is my only S1 required device, so far :rolling_eyes: )

The Sonos Move is wireless only. You don’t need to wire it to add it to any controller App/Sonos Household.. just use the ‘Add Product’ option in "Settings/System” within the App after factory resetting the device.