Answered

Surround Set Up - Individual Speaker Volume

Badge +2

I have just bouight a Sonos Ray and set up surround sound ith my exisiting pair of Play 1s.

I would like to tweak the volume of the speaker indiviually, in particular make the Play 1s a tad louder in than what they are now in the Surround set up, is that possible?

icon

Best answer by ratty 8 July 2022, 15:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Settings → System → (Ray room) → Surround Audio

Badge +2

I see two settings tv volume and music volume … the music volume increases the PLay: 1s volume, so that does the job for me. Strangely the TV volume does nothing

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I see two settings tv volume and music volume … the music volume increases the PLay: 1s volume, so that does the job for me. Strangely the TV volume does nothing

If there’s no surround signal being sent to the Play:1’s there’s nothing to hear. Make sure an appropriate “effect” sound is playing and then try. 

Badge +2

Don’t know what you mean by ‘effect sound’ - i bought the bar for tv surround sound, the TV supports surround sound, 2 PLAY: 1s and Ray are setup as surorund sound, plugged into digital out but no joy

A lot of TV content, particularly news broadcasts, contains little if any surround information. Try streaming content; basically anything claiming to actually be in 5.1.

Clearly the surrounds are connected and working, as music plays.

Badge +2

A lot of TV content, particularly news broadcasts, contains little if any surround information. Try streaming content; basically anything claiming to actually be in 5.1.

Ok, I’ll check - The TV’s been for a couple of hours and we haven’t had any sound through the two Play: 1’s so far

You can inspect the actual content format in the Sonos controller app. On the Now Playing display for that room it will list the encoding. If it says ‘stereo PCM’ -- or even Dolby 2.0 -- then there’s no surround information in the input stream, so Sonos has to synthesise something suitable to send to the surround channels. As I say, with a lot of broadcast TV this doesn’t amount to much.

Ok, I’ll check - The TV’s been for a couple of hours and we haven’t had any sound through the two Play: 1’s so far

Try a Netflix, Amazon Prime, or a Disney+ movie perhaps and ensure the TV is set to output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (and not DD+ or PCM stereo)