Answered

sub placement

• 25 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi, I am considering making the plunge for a sub to go with my beam and 1s. Is it possible to place the sub in the other corner of my living room to my beam and tv and it to run ok. I don't really have room where my tv unit is. 

Tia

icon

Best answer by jgatie 25 November 2019, 15:04

Sure.  Placement of a Sub is not as critical as regular speakers, because Sub frequencies are non-directional.  However, some placements can cause nulls in the room due to the long wavelengths of the Sub output.  If you find the Sub lacking ‘ooomph’, try turning the “Placement Adjustment (phase)” in the Sub settings menu to on or off.  This will switch the phase of the waves, negating the nulls.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sure.  Placement of a Sub is not as critical as regular speakers, because Sub frequencies are non-directional.  However, some placements can cause nulls in the room due to the long wavelengths of the Sub output.  If you find the Sub lacking ‘ooomph’, try turning the “Placement Adjustment (phase)” in the Sub settings menu to on or off.  This will switch the phase of the waves, negating the nulls.

When I tried this a while back I found it didn’t quite sound right. Sustained low bass frequencies may be non-directional but transients tend to reveal the speaker location.

When I tried this a while back I found it didn’t quite sound right. Sustained low bass frequencies may be non-directional but transients tend to reveal the speaker location.

I guess it all depends on the crossover.  I’ve done frequency sweeps with mine and I can barely locate the Sub before it starts crossing over to the Play:5’s I’ve got it bonded with.  With normal music, I can’t locate it at all.  

The crossover frequency between Play:5s and Sub is pretty low, possibly around 60Hz. When I was testing it was between Playbar and Sub, with TV input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have a Beam in a corner and a Sub about 6 feet to the left of it along the wall, I’m not noticing a lot of imaging issues but if I listen carefully there is a bit of shifting.