Streaming from MacBook to Beam

Hello,

I am trying to Airplay2 stream from my MacBook to Beam. I have iTunes 12.8, OS of 10.12.6. The beam is recognizable in the sound preferences but I am not getting any sound. When I toggle back to internal speaker, the sound is playing. Just drops when connecting to the Beam. I did test and confirmed I can airplay2 from my phone.

Any suggestions? or is a Mac issue?

Thank you in advance,
S

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello,

I am trying to Airplay2 stream from my MacBook to Beam. I have iTunes 12.8, OS of 10.12.6. The beam is recognizable in the sound preferences but I am not getting any sound. When I toggle back to internal speaker, the sound is playing. Just drops when connecting to the Beam. I did test and confirmed I can airplay2 from my phone.

Any suggestions? or is a Mac issue?

Thank you in advance,
S

Hi there,

I'd like to see a diagnostic report from your system after you try playing AirPlay 2 audio to your Beam. Please send in a report then reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, I had the same issue in July and never followed up with Sonos support. I'm having the same problem now again. This is not specific to the Beam. It happens on my One also.
Here's my original thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/playbase-only-intermittently-works-with-airplay-6809547

Has there been any diagnosis on this bug? I assume it's a bug if it's recurring with multiple people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I thought AirPlay 2 support was only introduced with macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra):
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1969
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I thought Airplay 2 support was only introduced with macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra):
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1969

This is not a question of Airplay 2. This is a question of AirTunes/Airplay/Airplay mirroring, whatever Apple has called it since 2004. It's sending your system sound to an Airplay compatible output.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is not a question of Airplay 2. This is a question of Airplay / Airplay mirroring, whatever Apple was calling it since 2011. It's sending your system sound to an Airplay compatible output.
No, it is a question of AirPlay 2. Recent Sonos speakers support AirPlay 2 only. Sonos has never natively supported AirPlay '1'.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This is not a question of Airplay 2. This is a question of Airplay / Airplay mirroring, whatever Apple was calling it since 2011. It's sending your system sound to an Airplay compatible output.
No, it is a question of AirPlay 2. Recent Sonos speakers support AirPlay 2 only. Sonos has never natively supported AirPlay '1'.

You should research before you post. If you can airplay 2, then you can airplay 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You should research before you post. If you can airplay 2, then you can airplay 1.
Ok, that's news to me. Could you please post a link to a reference stating that Sonos speakers capable of AirPlay 2 are also compatible with AirPlay '1'? I'm always happy to learn something new.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
To confirm: I just fired up a legacy iOS 9 iPad (i.e., AirPlay '1' support only), and it does indeed work with my AirPlay-compatible Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sorry, I can't find a definitive resource that states Airplay 1 is backwards compatible with Airplay 2 but it is mentioned throughout these boards and in the post I linked to earlier about it working intermittently for me with both the Beam and One.

It's still working intermittently from my MacBook Pro, it's more consistent with my iOS 10 iPhone. Any general advice from Sonos support on this bug?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry, I can't find a definitive resource that states Airplay 1 is backwards compatible with Airplay 2 but it is mentioned throughout these boards and in the post I linked to earlier about it working intermittently for me with both the Beam and One.
No problem: my quick iOS 9 test indicates that you are right & I was wrong.