Stereo PCM only from eARC with PS5

• 16 June 2022
  • 5 replies

I only get Stereo PCM with a Hisense 65u8g

I currently have 2 symphsonik and a Beam gen 2.

My roku ultra gets dolby atmos on a different input so I do think there’s something fishy with the PS5 not detecting the EDID setup? 

What I am expecting is Multichannel PCM via eARC.

Any hints guys on how to get multichannel PCM going via eARC?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

What exactly are you playing on the PS5?

On your TV settings, make sure Digital Audio Out is set to Pass Through and eARC is enabled.

And set your PS5 sound settings to this:

Output Device - HDMI Device (AV amplifier)
HDMI Device Type - AV amplifier
Number of Channels - 5.1 ch
Audio Format (Priority) - Bitstream (Dolby) - for streaming and Dolby Blu-rays
Audio Format (Priority) - Linear PCM - for gaming and DTS Blu-rays

You can check this information and steps regarding about your Sonos Beam Gen 2. 
Your Beam that ends with 1DA9 on the serial number, is receiving the correct information from the TV, and also sending the correct data to the TV through the eARC connection. 

Since your console is not detecting the audio format that you desire, we highly recommend you to contact Sony support, and check if it's a supported format, or if there are any settings that you must change. 

This is the reply I got from sonos.

This is what I use for most things below.

Output Device - HDMI Device (AV amplifier)
HDMI Device Type - AV amplifier
Number of Channels - 5.1 ch
Audio Format (Priority) - Linear PCM

When in my streaming aps i still only get stereo PCM (youtube/netflix/appletv)

When I am playing games I cannot recall but will go home to check.

Userlevel 7

On the PS5, set Audio Format (Priority) to Bitstream (Dolby) when streaming. Set it to Linear PCM for gaming.

FYI… YouTube videos only support stereo audio, but you should be able to get Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio from Netflix and Apple TV+. Dolby Atmos isn’t supported on any streaming app on the PS5.

It’s really odd when i set it to linear PCM for gaming, it still only shows stereo PCM when it is plugged into it via eARC. was just expecting multichannel PCM for gaming. Do all games support multichannel PCM?

Do you know if all games support multichannel pcm or dolby? what’s the logic of stereo pcm over dolby for gaming just wondering. 

Userlevel 7

It’s really odd when i set it to linear PCM for gaming, it still only shows stereo PCM when it is plugged into it via eARC. was just expecting multichannel PCM for gaming. Do all games support multichannel PCM?

Do you know if all games support multichannel pcm or dolby? what’s the logic of stereo pcm over dolby for gaming just wondering. 

You should be able to get multichannel PCM audio from PS5 games. More than likely, your TV doesn’t support LPCM audio. This user has the same problem: