Question

Stacking Connects?

• 18 July 2017
  • 9 replies

I would like to install 2 to 3 connects (not Connect Amps), one on top of the other. Is that OK to do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I don't think there are any laws against it, but I'd probably not do so. You'd be impairing their ability to radiate heat, if it were me, I'd try to get at least an inch or two between each. I've actually used wood moulding to raise electrical devices to allow for additional heat dissipation before. If you look at A/V racks, or server racks, you'll see that they also allow for space between each device, for heat dissipation reasons.

Will it work if you stack them? I suspect so, but I also suspect that there's 2 potential issues that you'll face. Life expectancy with little heat dissipation would be less, and I'd also be worried somewhat about signal interference on the wifi spectrum. I've never tested for that, and I'd hope that they are made to handle it, but it might be something worth mentioning.

And I suspect that if you asked A/V installers, they've done this before. A lot. So, take my cautionary tale with a grain of salt.
I concur with Bruce.
It also depends on the ambient temperature present in the room where they are in use. I find that when this is above about 32 C, they get hot in play to the touch which would say that stacking is not a good idea. When the ambient drops to below 20 C, they are barely warm when playing, and stacking may not matter. But there again, stacking them inside a closed/poorly ventilated space may not be a good thing.
Thanks for your replies. I agree that from a heat dissipation point it's not a good idea but I am new to Sono equipment and it appeared to me that maybe Sonos design their system components to be stacked. The Connect does run pretty hot so I will be placing the two units next to each other with a few inch spacing between them as recommended. Thanks for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I used to place my connect inside a TV cabinet (one with a flap at the front that I kept closed all the time). Almost no space above the connect and a bit of space behind. The connect died after 8 years 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello gtalamo, I would definitely make sure there is some space between the CONNECTs. While heat shouldn't be the biggest issue with adequate ventilation, you may run into connectivity issues depending on how they are connected. Were you planning on connecting those via ethernet, wirelessly with a BOOST or BRIDGE in SonosNet or off of the wireless provided by your router?
Badge
I had a small bank of Connects and Amps (4 of each I believe) stacked in a loft space for a number of years (9) without any issue. Whilst I'm sure the added heat is not great for the units, it seemed pretty minimal and the warmth - to touch - of the stacked units never felt any different to stand alone units I had.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I had two connect amps, both first generation, stacked on top of each other in a largish cupboard. They did 6-years like that then we moved house, they are now mounted side by side in my home office. No issues with connect:amp (but I must say the batteries on my three CR100s are starting to get a bit flaky). The units are designed to stack with their little feet. The key will be what airflow they have around them and can they dissipate heat effectively.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Replacing the CR-100 batteries isn't hard, do it before they swell and crack or break the mounts in the CR-100's case and you'll be a lot happier. Not sure if the Sonos store has them now but I got several from ebay that are still going strong after several years.

I bought a couple spare CR-100s there too, the wife likes them far better than the tablet app and she doesn't have a Windows box for the controller program to run on.