Spotify unable to connect

• 9 September 2018
  • 36 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, Ryan. I'll try this first.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Interesting that Ryan suggests setting up with mobile device first. I guess this is now easier to set up with a phone, with less pitfalls then using a laptop or desktop with firewalls and other techy stuff. When I first set mine up with a laptop ,there was a clash with iTunes and Kaspersky.
Apart from the absence of firewalls, mobile devices are also able to use the open SSID put out by a new/reset device, detect the model/serial, and directly connect if required in order to inject WiFi credentials.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
All good info ratty, thanks.
Have a like buddy 😉
NotHappyWithSpeakers,

In my opinion, there is some sort of firewall or configuration issue with your computer. From your description of the situation it hard for us to give specific advice because we don't know exactly how your network and computer are setup. Given that this will be a single room application and the way that you would like to interact with the system, this is the wrong product for you. If your computer offers Bluetooth and you will not be adding additional rooms, a Bluetooth speaker would be more appropriate. Or, you could use a speaker system designed to be directly wired to a computer.

It's a personal preference, but I don't want my computer to be playing the music. For me, the SONOS system is perfect, because a PC is not required. The SONOS controllers, PC, phone, or tablet, are just controllers, they don't play music. Once the SONOS system has been given a list of things to do, the SONOS controllers can be shut down.

If you have visions of adding additional rooms. SONOS is the way to go, but you will need to adjust your operating strategy somewhat. Follow Ryan S's suggestion to get the system set up. His method does not require any PC resources. Once the SONOS system is operating, then the PC firewall and networking issues can be addressed. As ratty suggests, we don't recommend attempting to wire a SONOS system to the network port on a PC.

Since your focus is Spotify, you don't need to use the SONOS controller, you can use the Spotify App to play music on the SONOS system. If your focus is playing sound from computer games and such, a PLAY:5 is the correct SONOS product for you to use. PLAY:5 can be wired to the audio output of your computer.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked and I am unable to even access the speakers through my iphone x. Thanks for trying anyway
Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked and I am unable to even access the speakers through my iphone x. Thanks for trying anyway
We've yet to get a clear picture of how your network is configured: router (make/model), WiFi, wired devices, wireless devices, etc. Without it, one can't advise.
@NotHappyWithSpeakers. We seem to be at the same place we were a couple of days ago, when I had a try. Your approach seems to be 'these are just speakers so I should just have to connect them to my PC', rather than set it up as it needs to be. I think you have to just go with following Ryan's advice and see what happens - you may actually like what you get!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Actually, I forgot to mention I already have another pair of these speakers running fine at home. Yes, they sound fine. They set up easily as per the instructions. It's the ones at my studio that don't seem to want to work. Fortunately, I am too busy with work to have time to mess around with setting up the studio speakers. Unfortunately, these speakers have been collecting dust for weeks. I had a few minutes before work today to try setting them up with my iphone as the sonos guy above suggested. 'No speakers detected' was the message. Yes, it was plugged in and flashing green. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow morning to call the help line and see what they can find out
Userlevel 1
Badge
They work finally. Thanks for all helpful comments.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
It may be useful for others in the future if you post the solution up here.