Spotify unable to connect

• 9 September 2018
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Why so difficult to get speakers operational through a pc? I bought 2 play:1 speakers weeks ago, they are still not working. Software completely non-functional, can't find very powerful and operational wifi from pc. Have spoken with 'support' line multiple times. Applied factory reset, still nothing. Now must have them remote access pc TO USE SPEAKERS! Really feel they should not sell or advertise these devices as 'speakers', they are rather dedicated devices which operate ONLY through their ridiculous software and are absurdly and unnecessarily difficult to get to work. Speakers should be plug and play, not plug in,pull hair out in frustration, then collect dust for weeks. Buyer Beware!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Sorry you have had such a frustrating experience. Many of my least techie friends have set Sonos up in a few minutes so I am not sure what is happening for you.

What do you want from the system? What do you want to play through your speakers?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I bought them to run music through my pc at my tattoo studio. That was 3 weeks ago. I got them to run from my phone, but I don't want them to run from my phone, I want them to run from my pc. I had no idea it would be so difficult.
What do you mean by 'run from my pc'? Do you mean play music files stored on your pc using a controller installed on that pc? Or something else?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I mean play music from Spotify as I have done for years through my wired speakers. I don't want to use my phone to run the speakers through the sonos app. I'd like to use them through my pc, which the advertising said would be 'quick and easy'.
I am sorry but you are not making sense. When Sonos plays Spotify the music goes straight from your router to the Sonos speakers. You can control this using the Sonos app on your phone or pc, or the Spotify app on your phone or PC.
This link explains how

https://support.spotify.com/us/listen_everywhere/on_speaker/sonos/
Actually, you can use Spotify Connect; casting directly from the native Spotify app to Sonos (Premium subscription required).

https://www.spotify.com/us/sonos/

@John, You beat me to it. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
You can't control the speakers when the sonos application does not recognize them. This is my problem. They do NOT work. I am making perfect sense, but perhaps it's difficult to understand that the speakers do not work. They can't recognize the signal from my wifi through the pc and the sonos app just puts me through a loop that goes nowhere. I can't get them to even start. does that make sense now?
How many units (Play:1?) do you have?
No. Because I have no idea what you mean by the wifi signal through your pc. You need a router that is creating a wifi LAN, to ehich your pc and the Sonos speakers are connected
Userlevel 1
Badge
2. The last time I tried to set them up I got one to register on the app. Then, when I tried to connect the second speaker they both stopped working and blinking red. And no, there's nothing wrong with my internet, wifi, or pc.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with your wifi. I don't feel I can help here. This is normally a matter of minutes and I am struggling to understand how you are approaching this. I hope you resolve this.
Do you have an internet security suite or third party firewall installed on the PC?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'll just take them back tomorrow and get some functional speakers. Thanks for the effort
Userlevel 1
Badge
No, it's none of the feedback loop problems that the sonos site puts you through. It's not the firewall, it's not the internet, it's not the wifi, it's not the pc- it's the sonos application itself. For some reason, it does not recognize the signal through my pc. Maybe, in some years they will update their software so it can actually do the things it advertises. I just can't wait that long. I think 3 weeks is enough. I just thought it would be cool to have some wifi speakers in my studio. If I had known I'd have to use their software, I would not have bought them.
There is nothing wrong with the Sonos application. If possible, wire one unit to the router and try it once again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have done this very thing at least 3 times without success. Every time ends in flashing red lights. And I have followed the instructions of the link above carefully all times. Maybe you're right, and there's nothing wrong with the sonos software. But, it is not right to have to use software in the first place to operate speakers. It's unnecessarily complicated and provides many new opportunities for things to go wrong.
There are millions of Sonos users worldwide. I have used it for years without problems. If you continue to blame the software you won't find a solution.

You have bought a multiroom hifi system to which software is fundamental. You have not bought 'just speakers'. I suggest some bluetooth speakers instead.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I will take your advice and use my money on another product from a different manufacturer. I'll pass on the 'millions of users worldwide' and just go for the thing that actually works. I'd rather just have speakers
The speakers are the actual brain of the system, the Windows/Mac/Android/iOS application is just a remote control. These aren't simple bluetooth speakers if it's that what you are expecting them to be.
I will take your advice and use my money on another product from a different manufacturer. I'll pass on the 'millions of users worldwide' and just go for the thing that actually works. I'd rather just have speakers
Good luck finding one with no dedicated remote app.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The only thing I expect is that they work as advertised. I understand you guys are loyal devotees, that's ok. I can also sense a bit of technical elitism from the other guy, which is also ok. Go be happy with your 'not just speakers'! Right now I'm browsing wired alternatives from my local electronics store. It shouldn't be difficult to replace the mounting and get some better quality wired speakers for the return refund from mine.
Something is wrong here.
operational wifi from pc
the signal from my wifi through the pc
the signal through my pc

Is the PC sharing its internet connection? This is unlikely to work, at least with the PC-based Sonos conroller. Another control device would be required.
Userlevel 1
Badge
No, it's not. Thanks for your response
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for trying to help out. From what you're describing, it sounds like maybe there's some trouble getting updates to the players, but it's hard to say for sure. I think the best bet to get this resolved quickest is some one to one work with a technician. If you have a chance, our team is available on Facebook and Twitter right now to troubleshoot, they're more than happy to help sort out the trouble.

As a suggestion, to get everything set up, try using a mobile device, get the system configured, updated, and all set that way. Then, connect to that same wireless network with your computer, open the Sonos app, and connect it to the system that you've set-up previously. The Sonos app on the computer will link with that system, no other configuration needed.

You may want to factory reset your players first, just to make sure you're starting from a basic state (you would lose any playlists or accounts added to your players already, but it sounds like you haven't gotten that far anyway).