Speaker Placement

• 3 May 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello, I'm putting in ceiling speakers in a new house i'm currently building and looking for recommendations for speakers in the rear of the great room, kitchen and morning room. I will have two speakers in each. Also in the great room i'll have a playbar above the fireplace and below the tv, and a sub. The attached drawing is what my setup will be.. along windows in great room is a wrap couch, the opposite wall is two chars and end table between those, behind the couch is a table. the blue dots are existing recessed lighting for kitchen and mornin room pendant. The black circles are what i was thinking for the sonos in ceiling speaker placement. Do you think they're too far into the hallway and close to the kitchen? Do you generally want them behind the couch where you're sitting? Thanks for the help!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hey @KevLufm is your intention to have speakers setup as surround sound? If that's the case, then I think your hallway placement is about right. I do think it would be better to Sonos Ones/Play:1s on stands, but you can use ceiling speakers as well. You will need a separate amp to power these. If you don't intend to have surround sound, then I might move the speakers back a few feet towards the kitchen.

The kitchen placement is fine, but again, I'd move them bac a couple feet towards the wall. The don't look to be centered to the kitchen area right now, and I'd prefer that over trying to center them between the lights. For the morning room, centered it around where you plan on placing the table. If you're going to center it under the lights, than you're good.

If you wanted to save money you could run the kitchen and morning room off of one amp. You'd lose the ability to stream separately and volume control though, without an 3rd party volume switch.
Thanks so much for the input! My plan is to have playbar, amp and two in ceilings for surround in the great room. How far in from the outside wall should the speaker go? and then how far from that speaker should the other one go?

For kitchen, would you put them basically next to recessed light, or are you just saying get as close to the center of the kitchen as possible?

For morning room, we are having a 7' table placed directly under that center light which is directly centered in the room. generally how far should the speakers be from each other?

My plan is to have one amp power the great room playbar, sub and in ceiling surround speakers, then another amp powering the kitchen/morning room.

I'm also going to run a speaker wire to the outside for outdoor speakers when they become available. There will be two coach lights placed for a patio that is going in, should I place the exterior speakers above or below the coach lights do you think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks so much for the input! My plan is to have playbar, amp and two in ceilings for surround in the great room. How far in from the outside wall should the speaker go? and then how far from that speaker should the other one go?

The important thing is to have them pointed towards the listening area (adjust tweeters if possible). I wouldn't put them right up against the wall, but 3 feet away should be fine. I'm not an expert at the exact science here.

For kitchen, would you put them basically next to recessed light, or are you just saying get as close to the center of the kitchen as possible?

Close to the center without ruining the aesthetics, if that makes sense.

For morning room, we are having a 7' table placed directly under that center light which is directly centered in the room. generally how far should the speakers be from each other?

Not too far in this case as you want everyone at the table to hear both channels fairly equally. So between 4'-6' I'd say.

My plan is to have one amp power the great room playbar, sub and in ceiling surround speakers, then another amp powering the kitchen/morning room.

That works. You can always split it to 2 amps at a later date if you want.

I'm also going to run a speaker wire to the outside for outdoor speakers when they become available. There will be two coach lights placed for a patio that is going in, should I place the exterior speakers above or below the coach lights do you think?[/quote]

Is there an awning to place the speakers under or is this a 2 story? If there's an awning, than have the speaker and light both near the top aleast a foot apart. On top of each other would look odd, and possibly heat on the speaker. If there's no awning, than I'd place the speaker about 8 feet off the ground, pointing down. Not sure where the light should go, but if that's also around 8' than again, separate them by a foot or so, IMO.
For the outside patio, it will eventually be completely covered with roof. The lights have already been roughed in and I believe they are already 8' high. I'll just put the speakers 1' inside of each of the lights at the same height. Thanks again for your help.