Answered

sony XF90 (X900F) Xbox audio settings

Badge

Hello,

Just purchased an Arc, currently in the phase of finding best settings with my set up and just wondering if anyone else has the same setup and can share their settings?

I have a Sony X900F which supports ARC but not eARC, an Xbox Series X and of course the Sonos Arc. So far I have found the following:

On the TV Sound menu:

ClearAudio+ turned off.

Sound Mode: Standard

Advanced Sound Settings:

Dolby Dynamic Range: Standard

Dolby Digital Plus output: Dolby Digital Plus

Settings on the Xbox Series X:

Speaker audio: 5.1 uncompressed (though as far as I can gather my TV does not support LPCM multichannel so it shows up as Stereo PCM on the Sonos app)

I experimented with Bitstream - Dolby Digital which was louder and seemed to have a little more spacing in the audio however it introduced an extra ~100ms audio lag (up to 300ms) and was noticeable. This was measured through auto calibration on Rock Band 4, rather than any professional tool by the way.

I guess I'm really asking will I lose any channels/sound features by sticking with uncompressed 5.1 (PCM Stereo) when compared with Dolby Digital bitstream when playing games?

Or are there any other settings either on the Xbox or TV itself that can be optimised in the experience of anyone who has this setup?

Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 May 2021, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sancezzio 

Thanks for your post!

I guess I'm really asking will I lose any channels/sound features by sticking with uncompressed 5.1 (PCM Stereo) when compared with Dolby Digital bitstream when playing games?

Well, 5.1 is not stereo. If you get 5.1 LPCM then no - if anything, it will sound better (though you’d probably need a direct comparison to be able to tell) than Dolby Digital. The Arc does not currently support 7.1 LPCM streams so may play them incorrectly, but support for this is expected to come soon. However, if the PCM is stereo and not 5.1, then you’re losing channels and receiving 2.0. If your TV doesn’t support LPCM, the best option may be to use Dolby Digital/DD+.

Or are there any other settings either on the Xbox or TV itself that can be optimised in the experience of anyone who has this setup?

I’ll leave this for the community to answer, though you may find this similar thread useful:

I hope this helps.

Edit: If you select LPCM on XBox and Dolby Digital (not +) on your TV, your TV might encode to DD in real-time (or close to it).

Badge

@Corry P 

Thank you very much for your considered reply.

I think my TV cannot support LPCM 5.1 as I would have thought it would show up correctly on the Sonos app. From your post I think my options are:

1) Use Lossless stereo

2) Use Bitstream and DD+ with a latency increase

3) Purchase an Arcana mentioned in the other topic.

I will see if there is any difference in the final possible solution you suggested.

I appreciate the feedback, many thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sancezzio 

You’re very welcome!