Question

SonosNet - wiring more speakers

• 11 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi all,

I’m having problems with some speaker drops and would like to increase the number of speakers I have wired.

Firstly, can I just wire the one’s that are currently wireless or do they need any settings changed?

The other question is one of the wired speakers is a subwoofer - would I be correct in thinking this doesn’t produce the SonosNet mesh wi-fi and I would be better wiring one of my nearby Play 5’s?

Thanks for any replies.

5 replies

You can simply wire additional players. They’ll sort it out for themselves.

Where multiple devices are wired the network needs to support STP (Spanning Tree Protocol), which Sonos uses to avoid loops. Most kit should be fine, though managed switches are likely to need STP to be explicitly enabled. You’d soon find out if there are issues: the network would grind to a halt.

You shouldn’t wire a home theatre Sub or surround unless the main/master player is also wired.

If a Sub is bonded with a regular speaker or a stereo pair it’s not so cut-and-dried, but generally one should avoid wiring just the Sub. It sounds like your Sub is bonded to Play:5s, so wire one of those instead.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

ratty, thank you very much for the informative reply.

Yes you’re correct the sub is bonded to a Play 5 which is wired but I will unwire the sub and wire an alternative speaker.

I was going to wire one of the speakers to a router (Netgear R7800 Nighthawk X4S) and now you have mentioned STP I’m not sure if it’s supported or enabled with that router.

Any ideas?

I wouldn’t think you’d have any issues with the R7800. I’ve had multiple Sonos devices wired across an R7000 for years. It was never STP-active. Most devices that aren’t STP-active simply forward (‘flood’) the protocol transparently (managed switches being the exception). Handling STP transparently qualifies as ‘support’.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Great thank you. Appreciate your reply ratty.

As I mentioned, a failure to deal with STP properly simply results in the network gumming up. Loops go undetected and a broadcast storm sets in. Port LEDs flash like crazy.

No harm done, but it can sometimes take a while to figure out where the STP packets are being blocked. Like I say, I think you should be okay.