Sonos ZoneBridge - getting it it work?

Userlevel 2
Hi,

Any idea on how I would get a Sonos ZoneBridge 100 to work?

I have a Zone Player S5 and that took me about a month to get working. After all the effort I put into configuring everything "just so" for this one particular bit of hardware I was hoping that the ZoneBridge would just work off the same cable, then I could move my Zone Player S5 somewhere else. It seems, unfortunately, that I was very much mistaken.

Does anyone know what the various tricks are that I now need to perform to get a ZoneBridge to work? So far, this is what happens:

1. Power attached - this works
2. Ethernet cable attached - port lights blink (same cable works for a Zone Player S5)
3. Sonos Desktop Control doesn't find the ZoneBridge
4. Pressing the button on the ZoneBridge does nothing other than make the lights blink for a bit.

Thanks.

22 replies

Welcome to the forums.

Gailehale wrote:

I have a Zone Player S5 and that took me about a month to get working.

Good grief! It usually takes longer to unpack it than to get it set up. Anyway....

Does anyone know what the various tricks are that I now need to perform to get a ZoneBridge to work?

Are you connecting the ZB in place of the S5 and unwiring the S5? This would make the Desktop Controller lose touch with the S5 until the ZB is associated with the system. It's also possible that the ZB carries old firmware which can't talk to the S5.

Temporarily wire the S5 and the ZB at the same time. Either use a spare port on the router for the ZB, or wire it to the second port on the S5.

Then you should be able to use the Zones>Add a Sonos Component option on the Desktop Controller to add the ZB.

Once the ZB has been added to the system, check for firmware updates for your Sonos system via Help>Check for Updates.

After all this you can wire the ZB to the router and deploy the S5 wirelessly.
Hi Gailehale

Welcome aboard :)

You will need to "connect" the bridge to your system before you can disconnect the S5 and use it wireless.

This is done through one of the controllers or by pt 3 on this guide:
http://www.sonos.com/assets/0/88/218/f17fbcc5-6a4f-44a9-9cb5-0afef0e2c891.pdf

I wish you the best of luck.

Just courious... but what problems did you encounter when first set up your S5?

/Ole
Userlevel 2
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I am trying to connect the ZB in place of the S5.

I've tried connecting the ZoneBridge 100 to the back of the Zone Player by adding it to the second port of the S5, selecting Zones>Add a sonos component, but the lights simply blink (green & white alternate) and "a sonos component could not be found".

I can see the SSDP packets broadcasting from my Windows PC across 255.255.255.255 and 239.255.255.250 - it just doesn't seem to get a response back.

There were many problems with the initial set-up of the S5 such as the broadcast storms killing the port it was connected to, allowing all the protocols through and such. Much trial and error and log analysis was involved! Thought I'd have all that nailed as the S5 works and my other PCs can see it too :|
Just to make sure its done correct...

After you go to the menu and "Add a SONOS component"
then you need to press the "connect" button on the BR100 for it to allow the connection.

/Ole
Gailehale,

At the risk of adding another "chef" to the mix, what is the software version of the ZoneBridge? I assume that you have not been able to update the ZoneBridge's software. The software version is usually printed in the upper right corner of the box label.

As I recall, it must be at the 3.1 or 3.2 level or higher before a ZoneBridge can deal with the S5.
Userlevel 2
With just my Windows PC in the mix, I get...

* "Connecting to a Sonos Component"
* green bar goes up
* eventually times out

I'll try some of my other computers and see how they respond. Could be just 64-bit Windows 7 and its many funnies...
There could be an issue here if you other device is set to "Wide/Turbo or 40Hz"

But im not able to connect that possible issue to the fact that you cant seem to link your SONOS units at this time.

Think im gonna have to pass the hat along to some of the more technical minds on this forum :)

Good luck in resolving this matter

/Ole
Gailehale,

Describe your network for us. Please include EVERYTHING on the network. What is wired? What is wireless? Also, make sure that your router is configured to support enough DHCP clients. Are any devices on your network using fixed IP addresses?
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I have mix of Mac OS X and Windows laptops and desktop as follows:

1 x HP ProLiant ESXi server running 10 Windows Server 2003 VMs. One of the VMs is a Microsoft Active Directory server, which also provides DNS and DHCP. The DHCP address range spans 128 addresses on the subnet. The other half I have reserved for static addressing. The VMs all use static IPs.

7 x HP d7900ec desktops, 4 of which run 32-bit Microsoft Windows XP SP3 and 3 of which run 64-bit Windows 7 SP1. My primary system is one of the 64-Bit Windows 7 systems. These systems are wired only. All use DHCP.

3 x HP Pavilion laptops, all running Microsoft Windows XP. These systems have both wired and wireless network connection. All use DHCP.

2 x Apple MacBook Pro systems running OS X 10.6. These systems have both wired and wireless network connection. All use DHCP.

2 x Apple iPad 2, wireless/3g only

2 x iPhone 3Gs, wireless/3g only

1 x iPhone 4, wireless/3g only

1 x Sonos S5, wired & wireless but currently running wired.

1 x Sonos ZoneBridge 100

All of the laptops have both wired and wireless capabilities. The wireless access point is a Cisco Aironet 113AG.

Everything is wired through a Cisco Catalyst 2960G.

So will the ZB try to obtain a DHCP address? That will certainly help me to track/sniff the packets. Is there documentation that describes exactly that the ZB will try to do, including all protocols and ports? What is the ZB / Desktop software trying to do when it says "Connecting to a Sonos device"?

Edit: I have the IP for the S5 (which has been assigned address assign via DHCP). I can ping the device, and it seems to send UDP packets from source port 1168 & 1169, destination port 6969 each time I press the button on the ZB, which is... interesting. I can see port 1400 open on the S5 device as well. When I check the MAC addresses on the DHCP server, I can't see any other NICs starting 00 0e 58 so I can only assume the ZB isn't getting a DHCP address...
The ZB will need an IP from the DHCP server, so if it's not being allocated one there's your problem. Wire it initially to avoid any S5-ZB compatibility issues between dissimilar firmware versions.

FYI Ports used by Sonos: https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=206
Port 1400 is used for diagnostic purposes.
Userlevel 2
Hi,

Thanks - so the ports used are the same as S5, which is good. So while it says "Connecting to a Sonos device" is it waiting for a DHCP address to be assigned? I'll focus my searching on what is happening to the DHCP requests...
Badge +1
I see yo have al sorts of techie stuff running

On the pc you are using to connect to the sonos ensure you have no vmware virtual adapters running or other virtualisation software as the sonos desktop controller will send it's replies out of the virtual interface rather than the Ethernet interface. That may be why your controller is not setting up the zone bridge correctly.

Jason
Gailehale wrote:

... while it says "Connecting to a Sonos device" it is waiting for a DHCP address assigned.

The "connecting..." message is when it's waiting for any response. Clearly if the ZB's not being assigned an IP from the DHCP it's on a different (Auto-IP) subnet and is unreachable.
Userlevel 2
I'm getting somewhere! It looks like the S5 was causing the issues. After turning the S5 OFF I am now able to connect I can now connect to the ZB 🙂 Lets see how much further I can get...
Userlevel 2
Yup - works that way around. Updated the firmware on the ZB and was able to add the S5 as a component!
Userlevel 2
Hello - I read through this thread and I am having a bit of an issue as well adding a Zone Bridge to my network when I connect it to one of my switches I get a broadcast storm that is bring down my network every few minutes.

I am looking to use the Zone Bridge to replace my S5 that is connected to my network and didn't follow the suggested instructions (as I found them afterward) to connect wirelessly first do any updates then go wired but I was able to add it to my system which is made up with 3 S5's (only one of which is connected to my network) I was also able to update the software on the bridge. Currently I have the bridge set up wireless and shows up in my network and isn't causing any issues. How do I get it to replace the S5 that is connected to my network without the broadcast storms every few minutes?

My network is extensive, made up of my main core switch which is a Dell 5224 with 2 separate VLANS and 2 Netgear GS-108T Switches.

I thought that this would be as simple as adding this to my system, plugging it in to my network and disconnecting the S5 that I have connected.

Any thoughts?
funhouse69 wrote:

How do I get it to replace the S5 that is connected to my network without the broadcast storms every few minutes?

If you simply unwire the S5 and wire the ZB in its place, you should find that everything works fine.

You probably experienced network storms when wiring the ZB alongside the wired S5 because of a lack of STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) support in the switch. The two devices were wired through the switch as well as communicating wirelessly.

Owing to a lack of STP support -- essentially the BPDU traffic was being blocked -- the two devices were unable to figure out that they were in fact connected by wire. The undetected loop caused broadcasts to circulate endlessly, hence the crash.

Some versions of the GS108 are known to cause this problem: https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings