Answered

Sonos turntable usage

• 2 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi there, can anyone help me?

I want to know if  I connect a  new Sonos turntable to my system, will it work through all my existing speakers, these include 2 x Sonos Ones, a few Play 1s, a Play 5 and a PlayBar .  Basically can I just simply add it to what I have got?

Thanks!

Mike

icon

Best answer by ratty 2 December 2020, 11:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

A turntable requires a Line-In. Of your products, the Play:5 has a Line-In. So, yes, you can add to what you’ve got, so long as it’s convenient to wire the TT to the P:5. The Line-In can obviously be played anywhere in the system.

Badge

thanks for answering Ratty!

So if I make that Line-in connection from Play 5, I can then play records on the turntable which can also be played through all the other speakers in my system? 

Yes, any Line-In can be played on any speakers, or groups thereof. It doesn't have to play on the device that has the physical connection.

You can also configure Line-In Autoplay if you wish, to automatically start the Line-In stream to selected rooms when a signal is detected (and auto stop when the input goes silent).

Note that a turntable requires a phono preamp, either built-in or between the TT and the Line-In. Many TTs these days contain an integrated preamp.

Badge

Ok thanks again, and my last question is , which Sonos Turntable has a preamp so I can have an easy connection as possible?   thanks in advance!  sorry for my ineptitude !

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/accessories/turntables

All the Pro-Ject turntables which Sonos sells appear to have a built-in phono preamp. It says so in the specs.

Badge

That’s great thank you, I don’t find the Sonos site that easy to navigate when it comes to looking for their turntables so many thanks for your assistance on here! I think I can just confidently order one and rearrange my speakers accordingly….  thanks again!