Answered

Sonos turntable and cd player connections

• 17 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We have a couple stero pair of sonos One speakers in the lounge which we use just for the radio mainly and occasional streaming from Amazon Music. I have been thinking of sorting out a hi fi set up for another room just for vinyl and CD mainly. I like the Sonos sound and was possibly thinking of buying a Rega turntable, Rotel CD player  and Sonos 5 speaker, unsure if i would need one or two speakers as yet. I notice there is only one input on the speaker, how would i connect both Rega and Rotel to it. Any help appreciated, or any other alternatives, or would i be better just buying a hi fi amp, cd player and speakers.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 October 2021, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I would seriously consider axing the CD player.  There is no advantage to it.  Just rip your CD’s to lossless FLAC, add them to your local library and put the physical disks in storage.  When I first bought Sonos, I hooked my CD player up to a ZP-80 and used it exactly once.  After using Sonos with a ripped file; which gave me track info, album art, the ability to make playlists, etc., the CDs were useless to me.

Then use the line-in for a turntable. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi

Thanks for the reply , I have a good 250 + cd’s and would prefer to use them in a cd player, I really don't want to rip them as it would involve me buying a NAS, all the messing about ripping them, and setting the NAS up. I'm not that much into technology, plus I still buy CD,s occasionally, not new ones, usually at music fairs. I have a smallish Vinyl collection, which I really  want to add to more than anything,   Its making me think maybe Sonos isn't the way for me to go, I only really considered it as the pair of One’s we have are very good. Maybe I should up my budget a bit and look at a hi fi system with cd  turntable and a pair of speakers, with a means of streaming our Amazon Music to it. Thanks for the advice anyway.

You will have to up the hifi budget a long way above the cost of a pair of Sonos Fives to match the sound from a pair of Sonos Fives, IMO.  But your call.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

One other idea you may consider would be to look at Murfie.com. Long story as victims of COVID but bought by larger company with a infusion of cash and I believe are coming back better than before. (originally out of Madison-my home state) It may be something to consider in the near future. You send them all your media, they hold it all in warehouses, give you access to it through the Sonos app (and other ways) in whatever format you want (MP3 or FLAC). You also have the ability to sell whatever CDs you want through the marketplace at your pricing and make a lot more in the process and get to request them to physically be sent back to you at any time. Obviously their is a price for all of this but it’s a way to not have to buy a NAS have access to everything instantly and get rid of or buy new things as you wish. It seems pretty reasonably priced as well.

https://murfie.com

I just did a quick estimate of 250 cds stored and access to with 90 hours of FLAC play time a month and it was $ 4.85. No affiliation, no experience and not endorsing it at all, it was just something that came up in my research of what to do with my 400 cd collection that I have. : ) Currently I downloaded 90% of mine as Apple’s version of MP3 and currently pay for iTunes Match (the right to access my music through iTunes).

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi there - I am new to Sonos but have setup a decent turntable into a Sonos five going into a pair of Ones with the Five. I am waiting to buy a second Five so I can just use the turntable into the fives and move the two ones. 
I have iTunes Match for my ripped CDs, Spotify account, YouTube music account etc etc. I have found in recent years an odd situation which is the fact that because I have millions and millions of songs available to me I don’t listen critically like I used to. There is something about selecting a piece of physical media and placing it on whilst sitting down and reading liner notes etc.  My plan is to grow my vinyl collection for this reason. When I need to (in the car for example) I can call up any album of any artist I want, but, when I have some time at home I like to sit and listen critically whilst reading and looking at elements from the physical media. 

My question at the moment is wondering that with a stereo pair of Sonos fives I have 2 line ins and I wonder if I can line in the turntable to one and line in a CD player to the other - I have no idea if I can do that or if the Sonos app only allows one line in. 

I also agree with the previous comment that you would need a good spend to get a Hifi to the standard of these Sonos sounds. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I have found in recent years an odd situation which is the fact that because I have millions and millions of songs available to me I don’t listen critically like I used to. There is something about selecting a piece of physical media and placing it on whilst sitting down and reading liner notes etc.  My plan is to grow my vinyl collection for this reason. When I need to (in the car for example) I can call up any album of any artist I want, but, when I have some time at home I like to sit and listen critically whilst reading and looking at elements from the physical media. 

I agree with you 100% that the idea of just sitting and appreciating music played on a high end audio system undistracted is a lost art in today’s fast-paced multi-tasking, AirPod society. This really was an art form in the 60’s/70’s and even when I was a teen in the 80’s. I am now a listen to music in the background with Sonos Radio HD and the same Sirius XM/Apple stations are on my car memory buttons as well. I have lost that magic of listening to my own CDs and records. It’s sad, but on the bright side I have found myself recently going downstairs and listening on my Arc surround system through Apple TV some of the lossless and Dolby Atmos music. It’s a nice distraction every once in a while.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I went to John Lewis in Cribbs Causway this morning, bought my Sonos Ones from them, No local stockist near me, well eccept for Currys and Argos who are absolutley usless. JL were very helpful, they dont do the Sonos 5 / Rega Turntable, but did offer a solution on connecting a CD player using a RCA Switch box, i am going to look into this futher. I really dont want to go down the NAS route.

Thanks for the advice

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

This is a RCA switch sold on Amazon, probably go down this route, John Lewis advised to try one Sonos 5 to start off, and add another if i felt the need. They did demo just one 5 to me and i was very impressed. Its not a vey big room so could be one 5 will sufice. I am looking forward to starting a Vinyl collection again, having given my previous collection to my daughter a few years back. Probably get the Sonos from John Lewis as there service has always been excellent, Rega turntable and Cd player will probably come from a Hi Fi dealer.

Userlevel 7

@bluesman If you are only using one Sonos Five and have two sources, consider getting an RCA switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Speakers/dp/B098PY8YBY/

If you decide to get a pair of Fives, see the comment below.

My question at the moment is wondering that with a stereo pair of Sonos fives I have 2 line ins and I wonder if I can line in the turntable to one and line in a CD player to the other - I have no idea if I can do that or if the Sonos app only allows one line in. 

@Wobind Yes, if you have a pair of Sonos Fives, you can connect the turntable to one speaker and the CD player to the other speaker, and the Sonos app with see two Line-In sources.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I've ordered one Sonos 5 from John Lewis, looking at best deals on ordering a Rega Turntable and CD player, no Hi Fi shops in my area, so CD player will be chosen on reviews on What Hi Fi, probably  Rotel or Marantz , RCA switch being ordered today from Amazon, and possibly a speaker stand for the Sonos. Looking forward to getting it all up and running. Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated