Sonos support for SMB 2.0 protocol

• 18 September 2016
  • 274 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

Recently I have turned off SMB 1.0 on my Windows 10 as per Microsoft's recommendation (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/). However, after I've disabled SMB 1.0, the Sonos application stopped working on that Win10 machine (not able to connect to local drives configured in the library). I had to turn SMB back

Could you please advise when will Sonos start supporting SMB 2.0 or later?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

274 replies

Badge +2

I recently move to a new NAS with no SMB v1 option, and the current sonos S1 app is not recognising anymore UPNP servers, so I’m out of options.

Honestly, with the arrival of Sonos S2 software with currently no features entitling me to make the jump - as I will need to replace my old sonos connect with a “New” product that has no build-in power supply and no optical output - I’m considering finding an alternative to Sonos…

Curious to know how many software engineers they got, as their software development is moving sooooooo slowly…

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you tried Plex?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Curious to know how many software engineers they got, as their software development is moving sooooooo slowly…

LOL this is some kind of understatement, need a few more “o”s on sooooooo. 

If you have just the one Sonos unit or don’t bother with sync then there are better cheaper options, coming from someone who owns a Port.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I recently move to a new NAS with no SMB v1 option, and the current sonos S1 app is not recognising anymore UPNP servers, so I’m out of options.

You can use a NAS to SMB v1 gateway to access your NAS. Instructions for doing that with a Raspberry PI are here. These should help you do the same with any other SMB v1 capable system.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

A Pi Zero-W is adequate, a Pi 3 or 4 offer an Ethernet connection too.

Or you could just use the cloud. I use Sonos and Apple music, it is synced with my library so I can access all my music via Apple for £5 per month. No NAS required, less electricity consumed and none of this years old SMB hassle. 

Hello all,

there may be many Sonos use cases for people who want everything in “the cloud” - fair.

But I originally bought the Sonos as a good LAN/WLAN aware soundbox, which is capable of “intelligently” providing music direct from the source - without having to funnel it through some additional device…

I was made to believe, that this source could be an internal windows file share (or SAMBA NAS file share). Stupid me, that I did not bother to look more detailed into the offering. I trusted the name “Sonos”…

I learned the hard way, that my speaker is now nothing more than a fancy token on the board. Devoid of all functionality, as I no longer accept to put my home network security at risk. 

I know, it is terribly hard to control all potential malware entry points. Therefor it is important to me, to contain the damage, that a hostile agent could cause. And SMBv1 active on the central data store is surely not the way to go.

I took the consequences - Sonos is going to die in my home environment.

I wish I had known better in advance…

Not so happy greetings

bj

Happy greetings here!

I sold the Sonos and now have a system that does  not bring a security risk to the NAS!:wink:

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Happy greetings here!

I sold the Sonos and now have a system that does  not bring a security risk to the NAS!:wink:

That’s pretty drastic😬 best of luck

Happy greetings here!

DNFTT

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Happy greetings here!

DNFTT

@EAZ has been a member since 2017, calling them a troll isn’t fair IMO. The smb complaint is legit 

Happy greetings here!

DNFTT

@EAZ has been a member since 2017, calling them a troll isn’t fair IMO. The smb complaint is legit 

I beg to differ. See EAZ’s two (only) posts ever to this forum, dated today. The DNFTT is warranted. 

The fact s/he owned an old play:5/play:1 back in 2017 is neither here nor there - SMB v2 or higher, cannot be implemented on their old version of the Linux kernel anyway.

Happy greetings here!

What did you replace it with?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Happy greetings here!

DNFTT

I beg to differ. See EAZ’s two (only) posts ever to this forum, dated today. The DNFTT is warranted. 

The fact he owned an old play:5/play:1 back in 2017 is neither here nor there - SMB v1 cannot be implemented on their old version of the Linux kernel anyway.

Do you believe they created the account in 2017 to troll in 2020? smh 🤦‍♀️ 

Calling  another member a troll is against the community code of conduct is it not 🤦‍♀️ SMH 

Not knowing which units can be updated does not a troll make. 🤦‍♀️ SMH 

Do you believe they created the account in 2017 to troll in 2020? smh 

I believe a person can choose to troll at any point in time @Bumper - the 2017 date is irrelevant. Eaz has never even mentioned the issue prior to today in relation to the ‘old’ hardware once owned.

Calling  another member a troll is against the community code of conduct is it not

Not that I’m aware of, particularly if it’s an honest belief - which it was (and still is) my personal view.

Not knowing which units can be updated does not a troll make.

Maybe not, but mentioning absolutely nothing whatsoever here for 3 years and to then pop back (out the woodwork suddenly) and post about an issue that’s now absolutely irrelevant to themselves - does a troll make.

...and maybe even moreso, as it was never even possible to achieve using the Linux kernel on their old hardware… they didn’t even bother to post here to ask the question to maybe discover that was/is the case. 

The only reason for their posts now, is to antagonise… which defines ‘a troll’.

I am happy to be called a troll, did my best to live with SMB1 and Plex since 2017. Did not complain every week,,,

Now choose to go to an Audio Pro system (2x C10, 1x C5, Bass sub woofer and 2x A10)

@Bumper Thanks for defending me :-) Regarding the troll:

I have posted several times previously (like :

and a long series of mails (may 10 or so)  with the Sonos customer service:

please accept just one mail as proof including the reference number:

Again all the best with the Sonos system!

Referentienummer vraag170622-002398
Overzicht:  Smb2 support
Datum gemaakt:  22-06-2017 01:03 PM
Laatst bijgewerkt:  03-07-2017 10:24 PM

Discussiethread
 Reactie Via e-mail (Bob Maij) 26-06-2017 08:44 AM
Goedemiddag,

Excuses voor het eerder uitblijven van een antwoord, vorige week. Er was iets in ons systeem fout gegaan waardoor beide cases gesloten zijn zonder een antwoord te versturen.

We zijn op de hoogte van de situatie met SMB 1, en zijn intern aan het werk aan een oplossing. Op dit moment hebben we alleen nog geen idee wanneer een daadwerkelijke oplossing zal worden doorgevoerd, en welke vorm dit aan zal nemen.

Plex is op dit moment uw enige alternatief om uw muziekshares vanaf uw NAS te delen met Sonos, hopelijk is dat voor u acceptabel.

Als u nog vragen heeft, dan hoor ik dat graag van u.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Bob Maij
Sonos Customer Care
Meer hulp nodig? Bezoek ons op forum.sonos.com. U kunt ons ook contacteren op Twitter via @SonosSupport.
Voor andere mogelijkheden, ga naar support.sonos.com.

Klant Via webformulier (Digital Music Lover) 23-06-2017 10:36 AM
As I understand: Plex on Sonos means that the app has to stream data to Plex that is running on the Sonos.

This is a "reversed system", Normally Sonos would just pick up the music from my NAS, which is much more convenient, as we have several users going into the sonos desktop with either ipad, pc, mac or android. A "Stream to" solutions takes the beauty of Sonos user interface away in my opinion.
 Reactie Via e-mail (Ryan Van den Akker) 23-06-2017 10:26 AM
Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting Sonos technical support.

Plex is a service available on our system, if you wish to disable smb 1 that is what I would suggest. What also good be a solution is to stream via a NAS drive, although it would still work via SMB.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards,

Ryan Van den Akker
 Sonos Customer Care

Klant Via webformulier (Digital Music Lover) 23-06-2017 10:20 AM
Replacement of Plex was one of my reasons to go for Sonos. Is this all Sonos "tech company" has to offer?
Very disappointing.
 Reactie Via e-mail (Ryan Van den Akker) 23-06-2017 09:57 AM
Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting Sonos technical support.

At the moment there are no announcements on when SMB2/3 will be support on Sonos. If you wish to have this disabled and still want to use your music from your desktop on Sonos, please have a look a PLEX, that way you can turn your computer into a streaming server for you Sonos system: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4057/~/plex-and-sonos

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards,

Ryan Van den Akker
Sonos Customer Care

Klant Via e-mail (Digital Music Lover) 22-06-2017 01:03 PM
Dear Sonos,
Despite of all good things (fantastic things) I am currently very concerned about security.
With worms and virusactively exploiting SMB1, and all major players like microsoft, Synology telling us to disable This outdated protocol, Sonos FORCES me to still keep it alive otherwise it cannot acces the shares on the NAS.

I consider my data security as a very high priority and here is my question: can we expect the SMB2/3 support on short notice? Or should i return all my Sonos equipment to the store? Or will Sonos pay the ransom in case my data is kidnapped?
Please respond, the sonos support did not answer in 6 days to my question, which is a shame by te way...

Best regards, Eric

--
Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail. Excuseer mijn beknoptheid.

Sonos is located at 614 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

[---001:003228:64458---]

@Ken_Griffiths

Thanks for calling me a troll, as in my previous post, I really did everything I could to get rid of the SMB1 on my network. But Sonos just does not support it. I do not like the plex way. So decided to go.

I try not to complain, make it work,  or change path and find another solution.

Many attempts to get a useful answer from Sonos later, there is not even SMB3 on the latest models. It is a Wannacry risk, I do not want to have on my Synology server (and not on my Raspberry as well...).

So enjoy your system, I am elsewhere, both happy!

And my Sonos 5 and sonos 1 are both V2

The troll

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@EAZ only one person behaving like a troll here, not you.

@EAZ only one person behaving like a troll here, not you.

Plenty of people make fake usernames and use them to troll.  Matter of fact, we used to have a guy who spoofed multiple sockpuppets at a time, so that when he inevitably went all psycho (which was often), he could switch to another sock after being banned.

But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

@jgatie , @Ken_Griffiths ,

This is my last post here, understand your position here.

Just remember, you will only gain respect if you pay respect,

also to people who just pass by to say goodbye.

all the best.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@jgatie@Ken_Griffiths ,

This is my last post here, understand your position here.

Just remember, you will only gain respect if you pay respect,

also to people who just pass by to say goodbye.

all the best.

Classy response. Now I’m being called a troll :unamused: I’m out, will leave these not so friendly people to converse amongst themselves.

Classy response. Now I’m being called a troll :unamused: I’m out, will leave these not so friendly people to converse amongst themselves.

I don't recall calling you a troll.  I mean if you showed up out of the blue knowing far more about the system and the history of this board than any normal newbie, knowing stuff that would normally require months of research, that would be an unusual thing.  If you also proceeded to harp on veteran posters for imagined little slights, backing up every negative poster no matter how absurd, and throwing a helping hand every once in a while as cover, I would suspect you were the same person who has been following this same MO for years under dozens of sockpuppet accounts

But that's not anything like your posting history, is it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The refusal by Sonos to declare where they stand on the SMB1/2/3 fiasco is appalling.

The least they could do is tell us the official position even if it is that they are not going to implement a real solution then at least we know where we stand.

It seems from what some users have found out that older Sonos 1 gear doesn’t have the memory to run SMB3, but why can’t Sonos spell this out clearly and advise if Sonos 2 gear does have adequate memory or is it simply not possible.

I have been combing through this forum wasting too much time looking for an answer to no avail. All I see is wishy washy non answers from Sonos staff. Not good enough Sonos. Lift your game.

I read that SMB1 gives Sonos the opportunity to go in through a back door into your  network and snop around areas they ordinarily would not get access to. The ability to achieve this  was removed  in SMB2 and later versions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

How many times did you post this foolishness?

Sonos has full control of your Sonos gear and can use several protocols that are far less aggravating than SMB to collect any data they choose.