Sonos Sucks

• 15 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3

Sonos had plenty of opportunity in the 00’s to develop the app to include both guest access and decouple the dependency on an account. Unfortunately, marketing ruled over functionality and the result is an arrogant, inflexible product which only dedicated followers will continue to use.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3

20 year owner, user and active advocate of Sonos products but today, I’m selling them all. Sonos sucks. Their audio hardware is decent, although overpriced but it’s the arrogance that I cannot stand anymore. For christsake, it’s just an audio player. Just allow people to play their favourite music to the hardware they paid for, as and when they want without prompts for upgrading to overpriced new products or complicated registration process. Get a grip.

20 year owner, user and active advocate of Sonos products but today, I’m selling them all. Sonos sucks. Their audio hardware is decent, although overpriced but it’s the arrogance that I cannot stand anymore. For christsake, it’s just an audio player. Just allow people to play their favourite music to the hardware they paid for, as and when they want without prompts for upgrading to overpriced new products or complicated registration process. Get a grip.

“20 year owner”?

So you owned Sonos before it was being manufactured?  Take a hint: Before you lie in order to slander a product, you ought to get the facts straight.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I personally have never felt the need for a guest account. I even regret the day I let my children on to my Sonos system.

In times when you need an account even for your coffee machine, I would not count on Sonos  leaving the account system any time soon…..

What arrogance? What inflexibility?

Userlevel 2

SoNOs is the most user unfriendly piece of garbage. It's kind of sad because it won't be around much longer

The speakers/sound are of good quality. They are expensive but people would continue to pay the money if it would just work.

The interface is a nightmare, connectivity is nightmare. I have one friend who has Sonos and literally can't even use it due to conductivity problems. My other two friends who have it experience endless trouble. Biggest embarrassment at any party is asking them if they can put on music or if we can cast our music. Never works right. 

Absolute comedy of dysfunction. One error after another. Guest login problems, can't connect, can't add a given music service, the app shuts off every time your phone screen turns off. It's new disaster every time. The service invents new errors every time I encounter it. Just ridiculous.

You all should get Google Chromecast audio. They don't even make it anymore but it is the most elegant and simple system. It never fails to work. You can buy Chromecast audios on eBay and connect any existing stereo or speaker with an input -- any old stereo, any Bluetooth speaker. It works perfectly, includes the ability to turn up or down whole system or an individual speaker, cast any audio regardless of what music service you use, it includes an equalizer. Simple, simple, easy

What a failure and why would anyone put up with this for the money you spend for Sonos

Userlevel 7

@Fakeshop I’m sorry you are struggling with your Sonos speakers. But your experience with Sonos is the exception, not the rule. The majority of Sonos users, including myself, are quite happy with their speakers and would highly recommend them to others because of their sound quality, design, and ease of use. I have 10 Sonos devices in my home and would be happy to add more.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

There are other improvements which could be made other than a guest account access. 

The S2 interface is clunky and slow.  TuneIn stations can't show album art even if it's available.   

One hardware fail is the lack of a line-out on almost all the devices coupled with no Bluetooth transmission, all of which makes it difficult to use headsets. 

Guest access is an interesting issue. Earlier in SONOS history anyone within WiFi range who had installed a SONOS controller could control the system. There were tons of complaints about this as house guests would prank a party or kids would prank parents. SONOS now offers some options to control pranks. As a result the system is not as open as it once was and now the complaints are reversed.

I’m not sure if Bluetooth transmission capability from a speaker would be universally useful. Why not install another SONOS speaker? That said, it might be handy to be able to Bluetooth connect a soundbar to hearing aids or a phone/headset for night listening.