Sonos sucks

Show first post

93 replies

Caught that too.
Badge
Absolute garbage, constantly forcing updates and then the updates don’t work, speakers disconnect from the app. Would not recommend Sonos to anybody
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are reasons for that and all fairly easily remedied with help.
Badge
Then tell me. This isn't a one time deal, it continuously happens month after month, When you pay this much money for things there should not be times over and over where are you have to spend significant time on the phone or internet fixing it. My car doesn't stop working once a month, or my phone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +18
A little more info, along with a more constructive approach would help. Most of us are customers ourselves and here to help fellow customers.

So...
Most, and all in my own experience, problems are the result of issues within your own Wi_fi network. Sonos will exaggerate these as even a small blip will cause skipping etc.

Some things you can do to prevent these:-
Fresh boot of you home wi-fi. Turn off all wifi devices then re-boot your router, wait for it to initialise then start your Sonos kit first. When that's connected start other devices.
Move onto the Boost mode, if it is suitable. Check here for all the info:- https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos
You could also consider setting up a fixed ip range for your Sonos kit. There is a thread somewhere on how to achieve this

The combination of all or some of the above should solve the most common issues. If you still have problems then raise a diagnostic and post here.

I had frustrations, and sometimes the occaional update will cause me to have to do a re-boot. Part of this is due to my use of Powerplugs which have their own foibles.
Badge
Rebooting the WIFI doesnt help, it consistently asks to reconnect speakers, they actually reconnect successfully about 50 percent of the time. Then even if the connect it requires you to download an update and the update is successful 0% of the time. So here we sit. No problems with anything else in the house that requires WIFI.
What feedback did you get from Sonos Support, having presumably first submitted a system diagnostic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Most repeat issues tend to always be ip addresses issues. Fact of life with network devices. Reserve the ip addresses and most any issue goes away. To not do it is asking for issues.
Chris wrote:

Most repeat issues tend to always be ip addresses issues. Fact of life with network devices. Reserve the ip addresses and most any issue goes away. To not do it is asking for issues.

I completely agree with you Chris.

Routers assign all local network devices with IP addresses (four sets of 3-digit numbers separated by a full stop, something similar looking to 192.168.001.005) ..and in general terms it’s a good move to open up a web browser and go to the built in web page on the home router and login and find the DHCP Reservation Table. Then populate that table with each Sonos device and assign a permentant IP address alongside it so that the 'network' address never changes.

It’s the one thing that I would recommend people do, as it stops the headaches that most people seem to encounter when their speakers are all restarted during updates.

I’ve never had a problem with my Sonos system since I discovered this very useful tip on this forum around two years ago ..and it wasn’t that difficult to set up the entries in the table either. There is plenty of advice on this subject via YouTube, Google Search and even in most router manuals. I found my manual online and sorted things real quickly.

It’s the one bit of advice I would recommend to all others here.

I chose to set my Sonos Speakers in sequence beginning 192.168.007.200/201/202/203 etc. Never had any problems with any Sonos update since.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi bherman8, I'd love to have you in touch with our support team to get this sorted out. If you have trouble regularly with updates, it's usually something network or environmental that we can help clear up and get you all set for future updates. I don't see any support tickets under your email address registered here, do you happen to have a different email you've used or perhaps a reference number with other cases you've opened with our support team?

If you haven't had a chance to work with our experts before, I'd suggest you give us a call on our support line and let them know what you've been experiencing. They can help.
Yup!!! Keeps crapping out!!! Never buy again!!!
Resurrecting a 5 year old thread that hasn't had a post in 9 months just to agree with the premise that "Sonos sucks" is high irony. :D
jgoolersr wrote:

Yup!!! Keeps crapping out!!! Never buy again!!!

ratty wrote:

What feedback did you get from Sonos Support, having presumably first submitted a system diagnostic?

Good thing I got this as a gift. Setup just sucks, can’t find WiFi, can’t connect via Ethernet. Amazon Echo connects in 2 minutes. Would not recommend this product.
DEDEAN wrote:

Good thing I got this as a gift. Setup just sucks, can’t find WiFi, can’t connect via Ethernet. Amazon Echo connects in 2 minutes. Would not recommend this product.

Don't know what you are doing wrong, but I bought one for my niece for a house warming gift last month, and she had it up and playing a Pandora Christmas station in less than 5 minutes.
What I’m doing? Following the ap instructions verbatim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Contact Sonos support on twitter or facebook and get them to walk you through the setup, either you are missing something or your network is not supporting the stuff Sonos needs. They are open 24x7 and usually can sort things, second choice is a phone call on Monday but hold times can be long.
I agree, this system sucks. Turns out to be nothing more than a glorified radio. I should have bought a radio for a lot less. If I move my speaker it wants me to go through the whole set up from the very beginning. The set up is cumbersome. My wifi password is about 30 random letter and numbers and each time I move a speaker I have to go thru the whole thing again. Support was not helpful. I was told that I must have hit the infinity button. There is no infinity button. No support on the weekends. I work during the week so really no useable support. I wouldn't recommend this system to anyone. When I try to play from iTunes, the speaker starts then stops about 2 minutes in and tells me that the file is not available. Yes, each and every file and time is only available for a couple of minutes. Once again support has not been helpful. Downloading is cumbersome. Pandora is easier to stream thru my laptop then thru Sonos. So why go thru the effort of using Sonos when I can just start off and at least hear what I want to be hearing rather than playing around with the app. And WHY would anyone make it so that you HAVE to set up from your phone? WHY? The keyboard on my laptop is bigger and I can type in that 30 random letter and number password a lot faster. And yea support just keeps sending me emails asking if my problem was resolved without sending me any advice. When I reply no, I just get another form email asking if the issue has been resolved. The person on the phone was nice but clueless. Will not buy another speaker. Regret that I purchased this one to start with.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings