Sonos sucks

Userlevel 3
This is the most ridiculous system I have ever worked with....constantly fails to connect. Fail to reset....fails just about everything. Do NOT buy this system unless you are dying to spend many frustrating hours wanting to throw the entire set out the window.

100 replies

So, exactly what response did Sonos Support give you when you clearly described your network, your system, and the precise faults you were experiencing?
He hasn't called support.
or
If he has, they would have already told him what the problem is and the changes they suggested he makes to his network have not been applied.

So he grabbed his Fablet (Fabulous Tablet) and created this post 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just what does gabbot getting into a strop hope to achieve? Certainly won't put off those who have taken the time and trouble to research their Sonos purchase, and have been reassured by the excellence of both Sonos Support and the many users who post on this forum to help those less knowledgable. Added to a correctly configured network, there's not a lot that can match Sonos for its flexible range of products, ease of installation, user-friendly interface, updating of its firmware and its overall stability. I could go on.

Of course we are dealing with a wireless technology based range of products, so yes, problems can and do arise. But to say "this is the most ridiculous system..." etc without even attempting to understand it or fix it is just patent nonsense.
Badge
Don't feed the troll.
Just what does gabbot getting into a strop hope to achieve?
It is just a rant.

He/she isn't looking for help and my guess is that it is a "drive-by" post.

However, should gabbot return to the forum and explain the issues then I'm sure people would be glad to help.

Personally, when I first got my Sonos components I was a little disappointed that there was so little to set up. I plugged them in and they were working seconds later, whereas perversely, I was hoping for a bit more to do. I've heard others say the same.
Userlevel 2
When I get home with new computer stuff, I usually wait that I am in a good mood before intalling as it is never as easy as it it advertised.

When I installed Sonos, I was frustrated because I had not planned anything else to do that day.. ;)

(Funny in a way, I think being non computer and going stock apple and not playing with any network settings to tweak things probably makes my Sonos install and interaction with my network flawless)
He hasn't called support.
I don't think so either. 😉
Userlevel 2
This is the most ridiculous system I have ever worked with....constantly fails to connect. Fail to reset....fails just about everything. Do NOT buy this system unless you are dying to spend many frustrating hours wanting to throw the entire set out the window.

You are obviously the competition...you probably sell bose. My unit set up easier than I could have hoped for....It doesnt get any easier than Sonos
Userlevel 2
I'm new to Sonos.....I was up and running within 5 minutes of opening the Sonos Play3 box.....Looking forward to adding to my system....
Userlevel 2
I'm new to Sonos.....I was up and running within 5 minutes of opening the Sonos Play3 box.....Looking forward to adding to my system....

I'm sure Gabbott was very pleased to hear that. 😉
Userlevel 2
My Playbar was up and running within minutes of unpacking it. Ditto for my Sub and Play3. I've had such a pleasant experience with Sonos products, I have a second Play3 on order and arriving this week. IMHO, the OP's situation is uncommon.
Userlevel 2

It's a friday night, me and the boys have invited 5 girls over to my house for a party,
I have just spent a couple of hours trying to to get any of my 12 systems to connect just to play music, everybody has gone home now, what a waist of money
Userlevel 2
It's a friday night, me and the boys have invited 5 girls over to my house for a party,
I have just spent a couple of hours trying to to get any of my 12 systems to connect just to play music, everybody has gone home now, what a waist of money

Another useful posting, not sure what stipic wants. These type of posts should be removed they just incense the regular users of these forums.
Moderator note: We want these forums to be open, a "free press" if you like. Unless the post is spam or a personal attack, we don't censure posts. Unfortunately, this policy leaves the forums open to being victimized by this sort of "venting".

Regulars know that this sort of total system failure is not typical, usually caused by a network failure as simple as a bad cable. There are countless very knowledgeable folks passing by who are willing to help. We are distributed throughout the planet and therefore have good coverage over the 24 hour space. Possibly one of the regulars could have helped salvage the party if the poster had come online sooner.

This is a family place. Many of the regulars originally stopped by to ask a question and, receiving such a good response, have hung around to become one of the regulars.
Badge +8
stipic and gabbot are one and the same!
Userlevel 2
I am pretty handy with computers and peripherals but stereo stuff, not so much. Setting up the amplifier, connecting to wired outdoor speakers, downloading Iphone and Ipad apps; 10 minutes max! Wow! Tested my music and I am a happy camper:)
Userlevel 2
For the most part Sonos just works. On the occasion that it fails to, a reset usually works.

If that doesnt, then it is usually down to a full network restart as per the Moderators usual guidance. Even this only takes 30mins and in reality rarely fails to solve the problems.
Only time I have heard it to fail, is when it turned out to be a cable failure, as already mentioned in this thread.
For the most part Sonos just works. On the occasion that it fails to, a reset usually works.
To be clear: a factory reset is actually very much a last resort. It rarely resolves network issues and can in fact create new ones. In addition it destroys useful diagnostic data and can result in the loss of all the system settings, account info, library index, etc. We always recommend that a user should not factory reset unless suggested by Sonos Support or a senior forum member.

Simply power-cycling a Player, or if necessary the entire network, will often fix things. Maybe that's what you meant by 'reset'?
Userlevel 2
Simply power-cycling a Player, or if necessary the entire network, will often fix things. Maybe that's what you meant by 'reset'?

It was
stipic and gabbot are one and the same!

Actually, it looks like they are in different continents.

Cheers,

Keith
Badge +8
maybe he moves around a lot...
Userlevel 2
I love the idea to use my phone to switch music, especially traveling between the office and home. But I have to reset controllers every time I switch even though my phone is on the respective wireless network. And my music on iPhone sometimes works and then the next day does not work.

Importantly, I thought it would be easy to use, so I bought 4 units for house and office, for my family and I to use. My wife hates hates hates it. It's actually a cause of fights now.
Userlevel 2
Yours is the exception to the rule then. I have absolutely no reason to think you are lying, but then you also have to look at the forum full of hundreds (thousands?) of happy, relatively problem-free users, and knowing that only a small minority of users (of anything!) ever bother to sign onto a forum, you have to assume there are thousands more satisfied customers.

Talk to Support. Whatever the problem is in your household, get it looked at, and fixed.
But I have to reset controllers every time I switch even though my phone is on the respective wireless network.
No you don't. Since Sonos v4.2 you can associate a controller with multiple systems ('households'). When the controller attaches to each network it automatically finds the local Players.

And my music on iPhone sometimes works and then the next day does not work.

Music streamed from a phone is always going to be more prone to problems as the first hop is over WiFi. Online services could be more reliable; your own music collection stored on a network drive certainly would be.

As JaybirdEh says, talk to Sonos Support. They'll ask for a system diagnostic and may suggest some changes to wireless channel allocations.

My wife hates hates hates it. It's actually a cause of fights now.

The usual feedback is that the WAF of Sonos is unexpectedly high. Enlist the help of Sonos Support and hopefully you'll win her round.
Jax,

If you are using an Airport Express, make sure that it is running the very recently updated firmware form APPLE.