Question

Sonos Sound bar with Tivo / Superhub

• 11 December 2015
  • 16 replies

Badge
Have just purchased a Sonos Sound bar. We have Virgin Media Superhub,TIVO box and Panasonic Smart TV. Panasonic is connected to Superhub Router with ethernet cable to make 'smart' connection. Soundbar is connected to TV via digital line supplied. There are 2 spare ethernet ports in Soundbar, 1 in TV but none in Superhub. Do we have the correct wired set up?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Are you asking how to connect the Playbar to the superhub?
Badge
I am asking if the connection we have is correct. The soundbar is connected to superhub, but does soundbar need to have connection to VM Tivo box? Was expecting better sound quality from Soundbar.
I'm assuming the TiVo is connected to the tv? What exactly do you find wrong with the sound? But no connecting the Playbar to the superhub won't make any difference to the audio. Presumably you've got the Playbar connected to your network wirelessly?
Badge
Morn and thanks for your interest. To clarify,
Soundbar is connected to TV via digital cable/line provided..
TV connected to TiVo via HDMI.
TV is connected to Superhub via Ethernet to give Panasonic a 'smart TV' connection.
No wired connection from Soundbar to TiVo although spare Ethernet ports in each device.
Soundbar connected wirelessly to network. Can play music throughout house incl Soundbar.

Music VG on Play 3's. Just very disappointed in sound from Soundbar when TV is on. It lacks a richness I was expecting. Batman 'Dark Night' on TV last night and it was OK but for £600 expect more than OK. At moment it's a waste of money. Would have been better with 2 1's connected and linked to TV. Better sound quality and a lot less money.

Just checking I have right connections before I get rid of £600 worth of kit for something else. Went for name and reputation and didn't investigate before buying as I usually do. So if this is the sound quality I can expect, it's an expensive mistake.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Have you tried wiring your Playbar's optical cable directly into the TiVo box and playing Batman again. It's most likely that you TV is only sending Stereo to the bar instead of Dolby Digital 5.1, which makes a big difference
Badge
Morn Josh thanks for interest. Didn't know TiVo had optical port. Someone else wired system. Will have look after breakie.
Q please.
On TiVo audio settings, it's Dobly Digital or DD/PCM. Before Sonos had it on recommended DD/PCM. Now DD. Is this correct?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
When you are playing the PlayBar have a look under "about my sonos system" See what the PlayBar is putting out, stereo in stereo out.
Badge
Hi Capn Les, it's showing Audio In:Stereo
Badge
Hi Capn Les, it's showing Audio In:Stereo no stereo out.
Badge
Hi Capn Les, Josh D, The LHC, thank you for your interest and info. I have made some changes to the set up and sound quality has improved. I've moved the digital line from the TV to the back of the TiVo box. I've switched Audio Settings on TV to DD/PCM and lastly switched sound effects on TiVo to high. Sound quality appears better, so will give it another opportunity. Again many thanks for you kind interest, which from a non-techie, is much appreciated. Hope Santa is good to you.
Badge
Hi Capn Les, Josh D, The LHC, an update.

Switched off TV and sound of last programme continues because Soundbar linked direct to TiVo. Only solution is to physically switch off Soundbar after use otherwise as TiVo is permanently on, the audio whatever TV channel is on it will come through the Soundbar. Far from ideal. There must be another way, so will have to pursue when I have the time, otherwise there will be an almost brand new Soundbar on ebay.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Ok that is one option, another would be to program you PlayBar with the remote you use for the Tivo. Now when you turn off the TV you can turn down or Mute the PlayBar. This remote will also let you control the music volume when listen to just music on the PlayBar. You can also control the PlayBar with what ever device (phone or whatever).
Badge
Thanks Capt Les. Not ideal. Will pursue this as there must be solution. Appreciate your time.
Thanks Capt Les. Not ideal. Will pursue this as there must be solution. Appreciate your time.

There's no standby for the TiVo? That's a bit weird.
TiVo does have a standby mode.
Userlevel 2
There is stanby on tivo. I use this setup. Go to settings in tivo see standby on the bottom of right habd column. Turn the sound off using standby then the tv power off. Works great if your tv does not pass through dolby 5.1.