Sonos set up help.

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies
Hi there,
I’m asking for advice and looking to problem solve here

1) my set up is a Sony kdl-40m4000, 4th gen Apple TV, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo switch.

I currently own a play:5 Ran to the tv with a 3.5mm to rca into the back of the tv. With a obvious loss of sound I want to add a sound bar (thinkin beam) and to be able to control the volume with Apple TV remote instead of with only my phone. Also would like to add a record player into the mix. Would most likely run the 3.5mm to rca to the play:5 for the record player.
What is best for me to add? What’s best for me to add to connect ps4 without disconnecting the cables every time I want to switch devices.

2) I also have a sonos play:1 but when connected to the tv it cuts out. Don’t notice a drop while listening to music through the app.

Thanks so much.

7 replies

A Beam, or either of the other soundbars, work off of the TV's audio connection, so your sound will continue to be pushed through the HDMI cable to the TV. If that TV has an HMDI-ARC connection, then the Beam could work off of that, otherwise, all three of those TV speakers will work off of an optical output from the TV. Then all of your video devices would be connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV becomes the "switch" that changes both video and audio.

A turntable connected to your PLAY:5 would require a pre-amp between the two devices, as a phono level isn't loud enough for the analog input. But yes, the turntable would go to the pre-amp and then the signal from the pre-amp would go to the line in on the PLAY:5.

Your cutoffs when the PLAY:1 room is grouped with the PLAY:5 is likely indicative of issues in your local wifi, causing it to drop connection occasional. Mostly because the amount of bandwidth necessary when carrying a TV's input is extremely high. Take a look at the wifi interference FAQ.
Hey, thanks so much for the reply.
I’ve attached a photo of my tv hook up. I don’t seem to have a optical out or HDMI out.
Yup, I'd agree. You'll need to get yourself an HDMI Switch with an optical port on it.
But I don’t have an HDMI out from my tv or an optical at all.
The HDMI switch sits in between the sources and the TV. So the Apple TV and the PlayStation 4 would plug in to it (I don't think the Nintendo Switch has HDMI, does it?), and then the switch would plug in to your TV's HDMI. Then the optical cable would go from the HDMI switch to your Beam.
Airgetlam wrote:

The HDMI switch sits in between the sources and the TV. So the Apple TV and the PlayStation 4 would plug in to it (I don't think the Nintendo Switch has HDMI, does it?), and then the switch would plug in to your TV's HDMI. Then the optical cable would go from the HDMI switch to your Beam.

Oh man, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me. I didn’t realize that’s how the switch worked. That’s going to save me the issue of buying a new tv Hahha will my Apple TV remote be able to control the volume?

Only issue remaining is best way to include a record player. Is an amp my only choice?
As long as your Apple TV remote is InfraRed, yes, it will control the volume.

What speakers do you want the record player to play out of? If it's non-Sonos speakers, and you don't already have a receiver that's connected to the turntable, then yea, a Sonos Amp or CONNECT:AMP would be the thing. If you want the turntable to play on only Sonos speakers, then just a CONNECT will do. There's a lot of threads in this forum about how to connect a turntable to a Sonos system, do a quick google search.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings