Answered

Sonos Roam stereo pair on hotspot only

• 25 July 2021
  • 3 replies

As I understand two Sonos Roam can be setup as stereo pair through WiFi. In my case I have no home WiFi, only smartphone hotspot that I use all the time for all my home devices. Is it possible to set up a stereo pair this way? Will there be limitations?

And what if I use two Sonos One in stereo pair? Do they behave the same?

The stereo pair will be playing music mainly from my desktop, and occasionally from my phone.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 July 2021, 12:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can not use a controller that is running on the hotspot device, it needs to be a separate device. Your desktop, connected to that same hotspot, would work great. 

Any Sonos speaker, connected via WiFi, runs the same software, so the only difference between the Roam and the One at that point is the ability to send a Bluetooth signal to the Roam, which can then be sent throughout all other Sonos speakers via WiFi. The One has no ability to receive Bluetooth directly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AVieira 

@Airgetlam is correct, though you would not be able to set up a Sonos system with a desktop computer, only control it. For setup of the system, or configuration of it, you’d need an additional Android or iOS device connected to the hotspot, though setup of sharing your desktop’s music folder is best done from the Sonos app on the desktop device.

Hotspots are unsupported, however, so there are no promises it will work; it could even depend on your particular mobile\cellular provider and what tethering options they allow.

Just wanted to add that there is also voice and the hard buttons on the speakers available for control.  These options feel a bit more useful when you’re phone can’t be used for control because it’s doing hotspot duties.