Answered

Sonos Ray Set-up

• 28 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Will I be able to adjust the volume from the remote control of my Humax Aura 4K recorder (SPDIF connection) if I plug the Sonos Ray cable into the Humax instead of plugging the Sonos cable into my Panasonic 4K TV.

icon

Best answer by ratty 28 July 2022, 18:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Assuming the Humax remote has vol +/- then yes this would work. You’d teach the Ray about the remote’s IR codes via the Ray’s setup settings.

It would usually help to program the remote for a different make of TV from your own. So for example if you have a Sony TV then program the remote for Samsung. That way the TV won’t react when you adjust the Ray’s volume.

Note that feeding the Ray direct from the Humax box will often result in the sound being ahead of the TV picture, owing to the TV’s processing delay. The sound can be delayed by a setting in Sonos or, probably, in the Humax itself.

Hi Ratty,

Thanks for getting back so soon. I haven’t purchased the Ray yet, but just wanted to find out if the Ray & Humax could be connected up without any problems. Most people don’t seem to use a recorder, but I find it useful. I think from what you say I’m safe to go ahead and purchase the Ray. 

Thanks again,

alfaman

For a long time a used a BT YouView box with a direct optical connection to a Playbar. It worked perfectly. 

Hi Ratty,

Have now purchased Ray but just cannot get it set up. The Sonos App tells me it doesn’t recognise my Ray, so it doesn’t connect. Have tried every configuration, but no success. My WiFi recognises it, but doesn’t connect. I do have a Powerline Adapter fitted with ethernet connection between that and my Humax 4K Aura. Everything works fine. I’m wondering whether I should obtain another P.A. so I could connect another ethernet cable between that and the Ray. I really can’t think of anything else to do.

Any suggestions. 

Current set up includes Panasonic 4K TV, Humax Aura 4K, Blue Ray DVD Player Powerline Adapter, Freeview Signal Amplifier and Android 10 Mobile.

Sonos doesn’t support powerline connections. Apart from the fact that their bandwidth is extremely variable, some makes block the types of network traffic which Sonos depends upon.

I would wire the Ray directly to your router for initial setup purposes. Is the WiFi coming from your router, or do you have a WiFi mesh or extenders (including powerline extenders)?

An obvious question: you are using the Sonos S2 app presumably, with the gold coloured icon? 

Thanks for your reply, and yes, I am using Sonos 2 app and also reset it, but that didn’t make any difference. My WiFi for the TV and Humax is coming from powerline adapter, with ethernet cable from Humax to adapter. The router is at the other end of the building, and thought that I could get away with having to connect a 10m. cable. Is that the only solution, or maybe I could take the TV & Humax to the router. So are you saying, that once set up through the router, I could then go back to using WiFi (in the lounge)

Some EoP (Ethernet Over Powerline) adapters work OK, others are lots of pain. If your EoP adapter offers an Ethernet connection, I recommend adding a small network switch and wire the EoP, TV, Humax, and RAY to the switch. This will give the TV, Humax, and RAY the best connection, however, your controller phone/pad may have issues communicating over WiFi in an attempt to reach the wired connection. (depends on the EoP adapter)

As ratty suggests temporarily wire RAY to your router while you setup. If RAY will be wired it does not need a WiFi SSID and password. If not, be sure to give RAY the WiFi SSID and password that it will need when deployed.

EoP can sometimes be the magic bullet, but things can go wrong. For example, large appliances such as an air conditioner, furnace, microwave oven, or vacuum cleaner can cause trouble when operating -- especially if they are on the same circuit as the EoP. Old houses with multiple electrical panels are usually problematic if the EoP endpoints communicate through multiple panels. Surge suppressor outlet strips cause trouble -- especially the high performance models.

New technology EoP works better than the older stuff. I’d pass on the great deals offered on the older models.

Thanks Buzz, more info to digest, but hey, that’s technology. Will things ever get more straightforward.

My property, built in the 1980’s is obviously not wired for modern technology, but we have to make the most of it, but with a price to pay.

I will get back as soon as I have had chance to carry out your suggestions.

Hi all,

As Buzz suggested, I purchased a small network switch, and after a bit of configuring, everything seems to be working well now. Not quite as straightforward as advertised, but we got there eventually.

So thanks Ratty and Buzz for your support, and if anything else goes wrong, I shall know where to come.