Answered

Sonos Port and Naim Supernait

• 24 August 2022
  • 5 replies

I’ve had Sonos for years and slowly upgrading to S2 and just bought a Port and tried to connect to a recently bought Naim Supernait 3.

unfortunately i get a “feedback hum” when I connect the phono out on the Port to either the stream or AV phono sockets on the supernait (have tried with / without av pass though, as well as line out volume on the app as fixed / variable or pass through

at mo not sure if issue is Sonos end or Naim (will post same question on Naim forum shortly)

any suggestions / help ?

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 August 2022, 14:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Try grounding the Port.

Grab a spare RCA lead and insert it into an unused jack on the Port. (You could use a Line-In jack or even the S/PDIF coax.)

Carefully ground the shield at the other end of the cable -- without touching the centre pin on anything metallic -- and see if the hum goes away. If it does you can contemplate a more permanent arrangement.

Thanks will give it a try and report back

FWIW I just found this in a manual:

4.10 General Connections Notes

The SUPERNAIT 3 negative input and output connections for each channel are common. The mains earth (ground) should always be connected regardless of what other equipment is used in conjunction with the amplifier. The mains earth only grounds the case and the electrostatic screen within the transformer, and is not connected to the signal negative. In order to avoid hum loops, the signal negative of the whole system should be connected to the mains earth (ground) in one place.

A signal ground connection is fitted to the SUPERNAIT 3 rear panel. This is intended to be used to connect a turntable pick-up arm signal earth only.

So quick fix with a cheap piece of wire as recommended on the Naim forums fixed it

(Pic doesn’t clearly show the wire was stripped obviously - but it was 🤨)

Connect (any) outer shield of a din plug to the turntable ground and this cleared it 

will work on a more “professional” bodge later

thanks for the replies

This has possibly arrived at the same end point, i.e. grounding the signal earth for the system.