Question

Sonos Playbase does not control a Play Five when it is added to a sorround sound system

• 27 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Sonos Playbase does not control a Play Five when it is added to a sorround sound system

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos Playbase does not control a Play Five when it is added to a surround sound system

Please clarify. Are you following the correct procedure to add a Play 5 x 2 as surrounds? Click the link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2938

Please post back.

Cheers!

PS
IMO Play 5's are overkill for surround in the average room_ even at 25' x 25
I will clarify. The playbase will add the play five speaker...but when you change the volume with the TV remote only the playbase and two play ones change. The play five is grouped and will only change with the other speakers when using my phone as volume control. I called customer support and they said...the playbase can not change the volume of the play five...it can only change the volume of a subwoofer and play one surrounds "just use your phone to adjust volume". Pleae add this connectivity from the playbase to the play 5 VIA television remote PLEASE
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The play 5 is not part of the TV surround so it will not change. The Playbase Surround is for two surround speakers (2x Play 1s 2s or 3s )and a sub. Adding extra speakers will not work in the TV surround mode.

JOhn
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I called customer support and they said...the playbase can not change the volume of the play five...it can only change the volume of a subwoofer and play one surrounds "just use your phone to adjust volume". Pleae add this connectivity from the playbase to the play 5 VIA television remote PLEASE

Sonos Home Theater is designed to decode DD5.1 using the Playbase/Playbar to simulate L/C/R speakers in conjunction with a Sub and two surrounds.

The Playbar/Plybase can only Bond with a Sub and/or two surrounds to work as a congruent unit.

The Playbar/Playbase is the only Sonos speaker capable of accepting a 3rd party remote signal which is transmitted to the bonded speakers.

In a DD5.1 setup the addition of a 6th speaker is not incorporated by any manufacturer. The 6th speaker would have to be grouped to the Sonos HT setup and is typically be a remote speaker elsewhere in the home to let others enjoy the broadcast audio when not being used as a stand-alone speaker for music.

Bottom-line...your request to incorporate volume control via a 3rd party remote for a Play 5, Play 3 or Play 1 as stand-alone speakers or grouped to a Sonos HT setup as a 6th speaker is 99.9% not going to happen. Sorry 😞