Sonos Play 5 gen 2 crashing after recent Mac and PC app update.

• 24 January 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge
Hi all,

I have recently had the following experience:

I'm a happy owner of a Sonos Play 5 gen 2, and I have updated my apps and speaker firmware from one of my iOS devices with no issues.

However when I updated the Mac app I noticed that after the update I lost the ability to play Apple Music. I had to plug it out of the wall and back in for the speaker to work again.

The same thing happened when I updated my Windows 10 app.

My App update process in chronological order:
iPad Pro 10.5 Sonos app update that triggered the firmware update - OK
iPhone X Sonos app update, no firmware needed - OK
iPhone 7 Plus Sonos app update, no firmware needed - OK
MacBook Pro (high Sierra 10.13.3) Sonos app update (while speaker was playing a Apple Music radio station - Speaker stopped playing music. Couldn't play anything from Apple Music. Had to unplug and plug back in to fix.
Windows 10 (creators update, all public patches applied) Sonos app update (while speaker was playing a Apple Music radio station - Speaker stopped playing music. Couldn't play anything from Apple Music. Had to unplug and plug back in to fix.

I hope this info will help developers. Am able to provide details if needed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Since the controller doesn't actually have anything to do with the ability to play music, it might not be a significant part. It is likely that the issue is more on the speaker level, which is where the "go get music from Apple" occurs that is likely to be causing the issue.

If you're continuing to have issues, after you've rebooted, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and call in to Sonos to discuss it.

I do like your instinct to help by providing information to the developers. You have my respect!