Question

Sonos Play 1 Speakers

• 28 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I will be receiving 2 new Sonos Play 1 speakers today. I will be using them as a pair of speakers inside our TV/Entertainment room. My question is I'd like to take one of the two Play 1 speakers and be able to play it outside in my garage when I'm working. I think I should be able to do this. But would I have to keep changing the settings on the one speaker I use outside in the garage? I want to be able to play music through the one speaker(in the garage) while the other speaker is still in the house. While the one inside the house does not play.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, you can't really do as you wish. Pairing the speakers is semi-permanent, and not designed to to pair/unpair at the push of a button. If moving the speakers outside is a must for you, than I would recommend that you don't pair the speakers. You can use them as two separate zones, grouped together when you want, or played alone when you want. They would not play in stereo, but two separate mono speakers.

Well, that's one thought anyway. I actually would do a stereo pair and then look to getting a 3rd playoff for using in another room or outdoors when the budget allows. Look at this way. 2 would normally be $400, currently $300. Buying a 3rd speaker would bring the total to $450...only $50 more than 2 at regular price.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I like what your saying here. Eventually I would like to set up a couple of rooms with a Sono 1, 3 or 5. And maybe the Player for the TV. But right now I can handle the pair. So right now I have set up one of the 2 speakers to play music. I am listening to it right now and it sounds good. Am I able to set up the other one to pair with the one I just set up? So that I can use them as a pair in stereo? And once I set up the pair am I able to de-pair them and use the speaker one at a time?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
How do I unpair my Sono Player 1 speaker so I can use each one individually?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You can pair and un-pair the play:1's from within the sonos app, it's a bit of a flaf, but doable.
I hope you have a playbar, playbase or connect, as just play:1s are not going to get any tv sound through them. They are only good for rear surrounds in a sonos 5.1 tv set-up.
They have no external input terminals and only accessible from sonos app, or streaming music from music service or NAS etc.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
You can pair and un-pair the play:1's from within the sonos app, it's a bit of a flaf, but doable.
I hope you have a playbar, playbase or connect, as just play:1s are not going to get any tv sound through them. They are only good for rear surrounds in a sonos 5.1 tv set-up.
They have no external input terminals and only accessible from sonos app, or streaming music from music service or NAS etc.

Not using them for my TV.....yet. Most likely in the future I will add the PlayBar and more speakers and the Connect:Amp. I already have a Vizio soundbar which sounds fine for my Sony Bravia TV.
I received the 2 Sonos Play 1 speakers yesterday and set them up in my TV room for "music" only right now. But occasionally I'd like to take one of the speakers out in the garage when I'm doing some work there. Again, in the future I will probably purchase another Sonos One or play 1 for the garage and maybe one more for the bedroom. But it looks like they might be phasing out Play 1 for Sonos One? I'm not sure if I want to go the Alexa route with purchasing Echo Dot. For now just the 2 Play 1's.
I am very impressed with the sound from both Play 1 speakers. Even with 1 speaker it sounds very good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah the play1s are amazing little speakers, the bass still amazes me.
Why didn't you go vizio for everything, don't they do a portable play1 sized speaker?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yeah the play1s are amazing little speakers, the bass still amazes me.
Why didn't you go vizio for everything, don't they do a portable play1 sized speaker?

Not sure if Vizio does a portable speaker set up. The Vizio soundbar was an add on to the Sony Bravio 80" TV and our TV room is all ceramic tiles. Meaning lousy sound from TV speakers. The Visio soundbar was rated good and the reviews from others liked it very much. And it was cheap enough. I have old school stereo system I'm still using a lot. And I play music more than watch tv these days. So instead of upgrading my stereo system which would cost $$$, I want speakers that I will be able to use my old school stereo. I think sonos will be able to do that. Sorry for the long explanation.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Problem solved. Bought 2 more. 😃
I want to Unpair my Sonos 1 speakers. Very little sound comes out
Can anyone help
You can do so in the app. While you're there, you might look at (from memory) the room settings>[room name]>advanced settings> Surround Settings and notice the various settings you can change on the surrounds. You may also want to look at the report generated by "About my Sonos" to make sure that your TV is sending out a dolby digital signal, which would be listed under the PLAYBAR line called Audio In