Answered

Sonos Play:1 and Echo Dot cont......

• 8 May 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK,

So I managed to get my Amazon music to play through my Play: 1 that is connected to my Echo Dot 3rd Gen.
The issue I'm having now is that if I ask Alexa to play anything on the radio (Global Player) it plays through the Dot speaker rather than the Sonos. My wife also uses relaxion sounds (Alexa Skills) to play to go to sleep to but these also play through the Dot speaker.

Is there any way to set the play: 1 as a the default speaker for everything? Even Alexas voice responses.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 8 May 2019, 14:47

No, there is not. You can do with other Sonos products that have Alexa built in or have a aux line, but not with the play:1. Only audio coming from the supported music services with Alexa, not skills are will play on the play:1.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, there is not. You can do with other Sonos products that have Alexa built in or have a aux line, but not with the play:1. Only audio coming from the supported music services with Alexa, not skills are will play on the play:1.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK, thanks.
You've confirmed my suspitions. Little bit more money to spend now!
If I say, 'Alexa, play Radio 6 Music' to my bedroom Dot, it plays on the Dot, despite my having my Play:5 as preferred speaker in the group controlled by the Dot. If I say 'Alexa, play Radio 6 Music from TuneIn' it plays on the P:5. Don't know why.

Of course, 'Alexa, play Radio 6 Music on Bedroom' also works, 'Bedroom' being the P:5.

I don't know if the same translates to Global Player.

Alexa voice responses, as already noted, always come through the Dot (which doesn't bother me).
I believe if you have the TuneIn skill enabled in Alexa, it will play on the Echo if you do not specify "on TuneIn".
To the best of my knowledge I don't have the TuneIn skill enabled. It doesn't appear under 'Your skills'.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hi all, thanks for the contributions.
Andy.