Answered

Sonos / OS X Yosemite incapatible?

• 17 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Happily listenting to Sonos on my Mac. Tired to add Spotify and it asked me to upgrade my Sonos. I complied and it now the new version of Sonos does not work at all with my OS X Yosemite. I do understand upgrades but when will there be a time where this stuff just works. It was easier fifteen years ago!
icon

Best answer by pwt 17 April 2019, 20:37

That's correct; the Sonos 10.1 controller requires Mac OS X 10.11 at a minimum. Apple stopped updating Yosemite (OS X 10.10) nearly two years ago, so it's not benefitting from security or defect fixes.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's correct; the Sonos 10.1 controller requires Mac OS X 10.11 at a minimum. Apple stopped updating Yosemite (OS X 10.10) nearly two years ago, so it's not benefitting from security or defect fixes.
As a Sonos owner since literally the first month your product went on the market, this might be one of the worst answers to a support topic I've ever seen. So basically all the people with older computers who used them for things like, say, controlling our home music system, are now screwed. And why? Because there are no "security fixes" for my computer?

Seriously- how can you justify not having a deprecated version of your app that we can keep using? Fine, we understand if we don't get new features, that's totally understandable. But between removing lock-screen controls on iPhones and this, it just seems like you don't care about your customers.

I guess I'll go use the mediocre Alexa controls to have my Sonos play music somewhat related to what I might actually want to hear instead.