Answered

Sonos One SL - Port Forwarding settings?

• 14 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I’ve been locked out of my Sonos device since trying unsuccessfully to update settings (change the room name associated with my speaker). The app advised an update required, I tried (again) unsuccessfully to install it. After some hours with Sonos Support and speaking with BT, my ISP I now await a swap out replacement.

Question I was unable to get a satisfactory answer to was this. Does the Sonos device need port forwarding settings in place in the firewall menu? In the BT hub settings, it describes port forwarding as necessary for gaming controllers to access the internet. I am able to connect the Sonos locally with my iPad, the Sonos shows up in the BT Smart Hub 7 screen,  but it seems unable to connect to the internet and therefore my account.

Please assume I’ve tried each and every fix for this issue. Thanks for any assistance.

icon

Best answer by VultureSong 17 June 2022, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +2

I received a new One SL as replacement today. It worked straight out of the box, so in this instance it was faulty hardware caused the issue. Thanks, ratty for pitching in with your comments.

are you able to reach update.sonos.com and update-firmware.sonos.com from a browser?

Yes. In the first instance it returns a blank page an for the second, the single word Update as you stated. Both sites are flagged insecure.

If update.sonos.com is failing (it should also show the single word ‘Update’) that suggests something is amiss with your internet connection, perhaps a DNS problem.

Badge +2

are you able to reach update.sonos.com and update-firmware.sonos.com from a browser?

Yes. In the first instance it returns a blank page an for the second, the single word Update as you stated. Both sites are flagged insecure.

Badge +2

It returned Error Code 1 each time. The update is for the One SL, not the app. It seems that working through the issues with Sonos Support, the update was eventually completed to the current build. The speaker however remains unavailable to me and the top three menus in the app (Account, System etc.) are greyed out and cannot be accessed. I have switched of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz separately, trying to to connect with iPad and One SL on the same frequency but no dice.

My one remaining option is to try to connect the One SL at the address of a relative. I’ll be trying that tomorrow. If that too fails I’ll be getting the return sorted in the hope that the speaker itself is at fault. What concerns me is reading similar stories to mine across this community.

Thank you for explaining the issues around port forwarding.

Question I was unable to get a satisfactory answer to was this. Does the Sonos device need port forwarding settings in place in the firewall menu?

Absolutely not. It would be a possible attack route otherwise.

Which update is failing? Of the app or of the speaker firmware itself? If it’s the latter, are you able to reach update.sonos.com and update-firmware.sonos.com from a browser? (The resulting page should simply say “Update”.) What was the update error code?