Answered

Sonos One SL connection problem - all other Sonos devices OK

• 21 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have 1x Sonos Beam/1x Sonos One/1x Sonos One SL/2x Play1. The Sonos One SL is not appearing on the network correctly, although I can get it to work as part of a stereo pair.

I had the Sonos One and the One SL setup as surround sound with the Beam and all was working fine until the One SL disappeared off the network. After much messing around, including a factory reset of SL, I finally managed to ‘sort of’ get the SL onto the network again. Unfortunately it refuses to be setup as surround sound. I can make a stereo pair between the SL and the One and they work fine, as do the Beam and the Play1’s, but if I try to setup surround sound between the Beam and the Ones it fails.

If I separate the One/SL stereo pair the SL no longer appears in my list of devices (it does when it’s paired). It does, however, still show in ‘About my System’.

In trying to get the One SL to appear in my list of devices (and then hopefully be able to set up surround sound) I have factory reset the SL, tried to set up via wifi and ethernet (the One is permanently connected to the router with an ethernet cable). It just seems that the One SL refuses to be configured to work as it should on the network.

I should say, that I had a lot of trouble to get it to work properly when I first got the SL. I’ve set up a couple of Sonos systems in the past with no issues. The SL was not a straightforward process. I’m wondering if I’ve got a lemon.

Thank you for reading and any tips/advice.

icon

Best answer by Pistonhead 22 October 2019, 11:40

For anyone reading this, it appears the problem was caused by my BT Smarthub 2 and the inability of that router to split the 2.4/5.0GHz networks.

With the very helpful assistance of Corry P. at Sonos Support, he suggested I remove the ethernet cable I had connected to the Sonos One and connect the Beam directly by ethernet to the router. Connecting the Beam directly via ethernet seems to have solved the problem and the surround sound is now working as expected.

Big thank you to Corry P. :thumbsup:

View original

3 replies

Badge

I can’t see an option to edit my post, but just to add I have submitted a diagnostic report number: 1471990132

Badge

For anyone reading this, it appears the problem was caused by my BT Smarthub 2 and the inability of that router to split the 2.4/5.0GHz networks.

With the very helpful assistance of Corry P. at Sonos Support, he suggested I remove the ethernet cable I had connected to the Sonos One and connect the Beam directly by ethernet to the router. Connecting the Beam directly via ethernet seems to have solved the problem and the surround sound is now working as expected.

Big thank you to Corry P. :thumbsup:

Badge

A quick update to conclude this issue. The idea that it was the BT SmartHub causing the problem was a wrong! The issue was down to a hardware fault with the Beam. After extensive trouble-shooting with several Sonos Support Staff a replacement Beam (under warranty) was provided. Delighted to say that since I installed it the surround speakers seem to be locked solid to the Beam and I’ve had no problems with them constantly dropping off the network. They’ve been connected now for around 48hrs without issue - previously they would disconnect after 5-10 minutes.

I have been very impressed and grateful for the support I received from the Sonos staff. In total I probably spoke to 6 or 7 different advisers and they all worked very hard to try and solve the problem. I found it very easy to get through on the phone, sometimes straight through or very little hanging on waiting in a queue (maybe I just got lucky with the times I called). Once they decided to replace the Beam I received it the following day! For customer service I’d rate them 10/10 👍 . Case closed 🤞🙂