Answered

Sonos One Setup as Surrounds

• 10 October 2018
  • 1 reply

I recently replaced two Play:1s in my Playbar surround set up with two Sonos Ones. I haven’t been able to figure out how to properly set up/account for the following two issues:

1. How can I use the Airplay 2 capabilities of the two Sonos Ones when they’re added as surrounds? They are not showing up as Airplay options - I think because they’re surrounds/part of a room with my Playbar that is not Airplay capable. Seems shortsighted if that is really the case.

2. How do I account for the fact that two Sonos Ones in the same room (about 15 ft apart) are Alexa capable? Does Sonos treat these as one Alexa device with 2x the mics and two speakers or do they act as independent Alexa devices? I was testing leaving both Ones active but I was getting mixed results so I just turned the mic off on one of the Ones. Is this the suggested set up?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 10 October 2018, 21:04

Hi kts2005

1. How can I use the Airplay 2 capabilities of the two Sonos Ones when they’re added as surrounds? They are not showing up as Airplay options - I think because they’re surrounds/part of a room with my Playbar that is not Airplay capable. Seems shortsighted if that is really the case.

AirPlay 2 is not possible in surround setup. Click the link for more info.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

2. How do I account for the fact that two Sonos Ones in the same room (about 15 ft apart) are Alexa capable? Does Sonos treat these as one Alexa device with 2x the mics and two speakers or do they act as independent Alexa devices? I was testing leaving both Ones active but I was getting mixed results so I just turned the mic off on one of the Ones. Is this the suggested set up?

You can leave both mics on and Alexa will respond via the nearest speaker or you can turn one of the mics off.

Cheers!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi kts2005

AirPlay 2 is not possible in surround setup. Click the link for more info.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

You can leave both mics on and Alexa will respond via the nearest speaker or you can turn one of the mics off.

Cheers!